Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know Of App To Convert Youtube From Flv To Mpg?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:46 AM

Actually, I have a couple of questions.
1. I would like to purchase an app that would convert flv. as in Youtube to mpeg that I can burn onto DVD...of course as long as the Youtube is not copyrighted. I tried a couple of free apps and they were not consistent in conversion and so I am looking at a reliable one which I am d willing to purchase.
2. Is the quality of the burned DVD reasonably good on these conversions? I don't expect great quality b/c I realize that there is compression when the video is uploaded to Youtube.
3. Is there an application that I can simply download the Audio from a Youtube and convert it to mp3 and save it?

I am just venturing into this area and these are some basic questions that I would really appreciate experienced comments on.
Thank you.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:51 AM

You can use Real Player 11 to download any embedded video and then you can do what you want with it.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:35 PM

Thx for the reply re Real Player 11. I read the news release re the Beta version and there was some discussion about the app planting items on the desktop without permission. And then the article went on to say that if one wanted to change the format of the d/l version that you had to buy the plus version for $29.95??

Is this Real Player 11 Beta? As the references to it in the article were like a mixed bag and I would be concerned about something uninvited planted on my notebook?
I really would appreciate comments. Also I did ask I think, if I can also simply rip a cd copy of the audio only that can play on a stand alone unit and of course convert to DVD as well.
Experienced users comments would be appreciated, thank you.
Also for got to ask what the end product quality is like when you do the conversion as an example to a DVD?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:30 PM

I haven't had any problems with that in Real Player. I'm usually downloading videos and then uploading them to my blog. I'm not copying them to DVD. I use three different apps depending on what I want to do. There are a lot of video downloaders out there but a lot of them don't work. Here's a link to one that I know works and you download it directly to your hard drive. The big advantage of Real Player is it works on more than viral video sites like Youtube.

http://max.subfighter.com/flv/downloader.php

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 02:06 AM

What I want is some app that will d/l not only the video but the audio and I actually would prefer to b ouy the program, as I believe in paying for a programmer who has spent time to insure that what you want to do is accomplished.
I have tried the freebies and wasted my time. I don't have time to waste and thus I post this.
I also wanted to query the the end product... is it reasonably viewable? and I will not be uploading of the youtubes.

I know flv to mpeg is what I need I believe? is this correct. And then I will be able to burn to DVD or save for the future as long as the Youtube is not copyrighted and then I am dead in the water...correct????
I really need ideas about purchase products that are user friendly and I can get on with my life. And I gather that I need a program to convert the audio into files that are not flv.
I want as I said to burn these onto DVD's for stand alone player use.
If I seem dense, it is b/c I don't know really l of what I am talking about and indeed need help.
I really look forward to hearing from experienced users as soon as possible.
Thank you for your interest and time.

Best Regards.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:50 AM

Assuming that a paid program is better than freeware doesn't make any sense. You need to get over that before anyone is going to help you. Most developers who offer free programs are doing it because they want to though they do accept donations. Your assumption is incorrect. I don't know if there's a program that will do what you want with one click. Probably not. Downloading a video file and then converting it to another format are two different processes. Nothing is as easy as you would like it to be.

#7 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Well believeWinAVI can do both d/l and convert it. You can d/l a trial version which is the full version just has an irremovable water mark until it is purchased and/or registered. WinAVI cost roughly $30. There are many different versions to fit your converting needs. I Personally use it to covert my AVI files to DVD. it is fast and has remarkable quality.

Edited by Necrotic Freak, 14 August 2008 - 12:35 PM.

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:27 PM

Thx for the WinAvi "Link"....Looks like a good app with the write ups and all that I need to burn to a DVD copy. I am now wondering how to solve the other question of how to d/l the audio only into mp3 format?
Thank you

#9 Necrotic Freak

Necrotic Freak

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 PM

Posted 16 August 2008 - 07:02 PM

I am not to sure. Personally I use the "WinAVI Video Converter" to convert my videos to DVD format. The videos I convert have sound before converting. If its a mis-timed sound problem (sound early or late) I can help. Outside of that I am outside my knowledge base of the program. For I have not used more than a month. There might be a way to separate the audio using other apps, but I really do not know for sure. I recommended WinAVI for its ease of use when converting video files to dvd that was both fast and retained the quality. I just found out it had an embedded burner that can be used if you do not have a burning app. It was not advertised when I gotten the app. My personal preference leans towards Nero when burning, but hey that just me. If it is a music mp3 that you want to create I would recommended I-tunes to purchase the song. If its more of a movie quote mp3 I am at a loss. I am sorry that I could not help you more.

Edited by Necrotic Freak, 16 August 2008 - 07:05 PM.

#10 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:41 AM

Hi, thx I am presently looking at this app that I believe can convert a flv. to mpeg3 so that I can watch it on DVD....not sure if it has its own burner, however I do.
But also the app seems to convert the audio over to mp3 which is what I need to store on my HD to use with a slide show that I may make in the future.
Your experienced comments would be appreciated:
The site is:Visit My Website

I would really appreciate it if you could look at the Link and determine what is the best of the program options that would do this for me.
I am new to all of this and uncertain.
I have googled for a couple of weeks and find that this application seems to allow me to conver Flv. to Mpeg to play on a Standalone player which is what I want to do and as well d/l the Audio into mp3 format which I would then drop into the file with my Photo Album to use with "Movies to TV" which I after several weeks have pretty much decided that this is the app that is user friendly for my Photo Slide Show...has transition fade and music Synce, text and also has the"normaliztion" which insures that the Music source of all songs throughout the Slide Show is at the same Volume Level.
I would appreciate comments, thank you.
As mentioned earlier I would like to d/l the flv to dvd format to view on tv and also store the music separate on the HD for future use and wanted an experienced user's opinion of what this app looks like. Of all the ones that I have googled it looks the best....however I am uncertain of the size of the Footprint?
Thank you for your time and interest.
BTW, what version looks like it will do the best job for me?

Edited by georgia, 17 August 2008 - 04:44 AM.

#11 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 17 August 2008 - 10:10 AM

As far a getting the audio into MP3 format, you should be able to do what you need, with Audacity.
It's a free audio editor.
Don't let the "free", dissuade you.
For free, or paid, it's one of the best audio editors around.
You'll record the sound, make any changes you want, then save it to the MP3 format you need.

Here's some useful links that should answer most of your questions:
Tutorials
How do I download and install the LAME MP3 encoder?
How to Record and Edit Audio with Audacity
FAQ
Documentation
Audacity Forums
The Audacity Wiki

Edited by tg1911, 17 August 2008 - 10:11 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#12 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 10:22 AM

I did purchase Moyea flv. converter and am pleased with its user friendliness and the end product.
Just thought that I should post this here.
I still plan to look further to Audacity and thank everyone for their comments.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users