Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grateful For This Site

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lindyjoy

lindyjoy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:53 AM

Hi,
I just wanted to give my grateful feedback to people on this site for their link to the Malwarebytes anti-malware solution.

Yesterday I found this site accidentally as a result of a lengthy Google search for a solution to the XPAntivirus. I was close to tears at the time. Our family have only ever had a second hand computer we were given and it was our only computer until a few weeks ago. Then, after seven years of waiting, we finally got our very first new computer - a Toshiba laptop. At $A1200, I suppose it is pretty ordinary computer compared to some of the computers some people own, but to us a new computer is something we've only ever dreamed of owning for years. The laptop came with a 90 day free trial of Norton Antivirus already installed in it and I've heard of Norton and seen it in the shops so I thought it would be alright to use the laptop on the internet with Norton as the virus protection.

However it wasn't alright. And after less than 20 hours use on the internet - and most of that was downloading updates for new programmes from Windows - I switched on the laptop and the XPAntivirus had somehow installed itself. I still don't understand how it got on there as we ran Norton every time before we got on the internet and we updated Norton regularly. I do know however that I followed all of Norton's suggestions for getting rid of the XPAntivirus to the letter and none of them worked. It just kept coming back - even after scanning and isolating it in safe mode and all that. After battling with it for nearly 8 hours, I tried the solution found at this site - almost as a last resort, because hubby was livid by this time.

This solution was a link to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) I was almost too scared to try the MBAM solution in case it made things worse.
Incredibly in less than 5 minutes - after a whole day of frustration - the Malwarebytes programme had confined the virus (I don't know if that's the correct term but you know what I mean).

To tell the truth I hadn't even heard of Malwarebytes until yesterday. If you've joined this site because of a problem with a virus, you might like to try the free version - I clicked on a link that said "Malwarebytes' anti-malware download link" . Apparently there is also some PRO version you can buy off the internet. Hubby and I belong to the old school who are still to scared to buy anything off the intenet using visa or ebay - but I'm hoping I can buy the PRO version at a computer store. I'm going to look out for it next time we go to town.

At this stage there is unanimous agreement within the family that we aren't gonna put the new laptop back on the internet at all - even though it's much faster and much less frustrating to use than the old computer. When we do need to renew our old computer's exisiting internet antivirus solution though I will seriously be thinking about getting something with the name Malwarebytes on it, (or if you can't buy it in the shops I might try a prepaid visa card). I haven't had much time to look at the rest of this site, but it seems really helpful and I'm glad Google led me to it.

Thanks in particular to the people on this site who post solutions to other people's problems out there. When new things that you've waited a long while for get stuffed by a virus you haven't even heard of because your virus protection doesn't work - it's good to know there's somewhere you can turn to for advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:40 AM

Welcome to BC, and thanks for the kind words. Now you know you have a resource for any computer problem or question you might have. If youinstall a firewall, an anti-virus, and one or two anti-spyware applications on your new computer, and are careful about what you download and where you browse, there is no reason you cannot use it for internet access.

Here is a handy list of FREE applications (many of them designed to make your computer relatively secure) used by our Members:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

The link below to a pinned topic will discuss how to keep your computer malware-free:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

And remember to keep BC bookmarked so you can find us quickly!
Warmest regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:04 AM

Welcome to BC!

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:58 AM

Hello lindyjoy and welcome to BC
Regards,

Alan.

#5 lindyjoy

lindyjoy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

Thanks John and others for the links to other ways we can protect our computer. It sure seems a lot to understand at the moment (I didn't appreciate how much had been set up for us already on the old computer until I started trying to set it up for myself!) Cheers,
Lindy and family

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:25 PM

Any questions you might have please don't hesitate to post them in the help forums. As you begin to learn, I know it seems fairly daunting, but you will become an "expert" in no time!
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users