Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Deleting "non Existing" Desktop Icon....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:59 PM

I have this file on my desktop, and it won't delete, I can't rename it, and I can't upload it to file uploading sites because supposedly it doesn't exist. But yet it is STILL THERE. So how can a file possibly be on your desktop, and not exist to your computer, or file uploading sites? Is there a way to get rid of it?
Note: Below are the screenshots, the first one is the file itself, the second is what happens when I try to delete the file, and the third is the file properties. Thanks for your help everyone ^-^

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:34 AM

I've had success with Easy Delete with this type of problem.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

That error message may be telling you that the system cannot read the location of the hard drive...where said file is stored.

In my limited experience...this is usually due to the fact that the file is stored on bad sectors.

I would run chkdsk /r on the boot drive and try to remove it immediately after the system reboots. If chkdsk /r does it's job, the file will be moved to an area of your hard drive which does not contain bad sectors and will be capable of being removed, etc.

As for the perils that using Limewire and downloading torrents can be...there's plenty of info on the Web about that.

Louis

#4 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:42 AM

Thanks for your suggestion hamluis! I didn't try ERD commander, couldn't find it. I tried unlocker 1.87 worked very well. All I did was install it (it's only 237KB and very easy to install) and once installed I go to start, and run it. Then I just right click on an icon somewhere, like the ones that were stuck on my desktop, click unlocker, then click delete, rename, or move. In this case I deleted them, and then BAM, they're gone. I tried fixing this problem last night, but then I somehow made 2 more of the icons that wouldn't go away. Thanks again hamluis, all 3 of them are gone now. I didn't even have to restart to make them disappear ^-^

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:21 AM

I believe credit should go to dc3...but...happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#6 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 251 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

Well... if we want to get technical I give both of you credit. I give dc3 credit because his idea made me know that there was an easier tool out there. I also give credit to you hamluis because what you said made me know that it was something wrong with windows "overlooking" the file, not something wrong with my computer. So thanks to both of you [=

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2008 - 08:25 AM

I can live with that :thumbsup:, happy computing.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users