Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start-up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 michaeljohn

michaeljohn

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:03 PM

Hi,all. I'm wondering how can I stop programs/processes from running. When I open task manager there are processes that I want to stop from starting automatically. How do I do this (safely)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hello michaeljohn,

To do this safely you will need to click start then run type msconfig and then select the startup tab. You will see a list of programs clearing the checkbox will prevent the program from starting at windows startup.

If you post the list here, we can tell you what each entry is, or you can use BC's startup database http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:16 PM

Well...my first question would be...just how did you determine what processes you would like to stop?

Do you know whether any of these are key/necessary for system operation?

If you are trying to stop startup items...IMO, using a program like Autoruns would be much better (used only after reading instructions).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users