Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus Xp 2008, Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 karin_

karin_

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hi, I could really use some help!

After trying to rip a video, I was alerted by the antivirus screen saying I had a thousand something virus threats. I thought it was fishy, so I just closed the window. Then it started popping up again and my desktop wallpaper was turned blue saying warning spyware detected. I looked up anti-virus xp 2008 on a different computer and realized it was a spyware trojan. So I tried to get rid of it myself by looking up how-tos. (I found the bleeping computer instructions to use MBAM sort of late so I didn't do it that way.) I first used spybot search and destroy which identified the malware but couldn't remove it. Then (following instructions I found on a forum...)I used ATF Cleaner, Smitfraudfix, VundoFix, and finally SuperAntiSypware. The SuperAntiSpyware program scanned my entire system and found all the anti-virus xp files. I made sure all the boxes were checked and pressed the delete/fix (not sure exactly) button. Finally it said I had to reboot as a final step.

I thought I had fixed the computer but when it went to the log in screen I couldn't log in! I type in the password... it says "loading personal settings" and goes to a blank blue screen then logs out saying "saving settings" back to the log-in screen. I tried loading the computer in safe mode, and this time an "Administrator" account was an option, but when I clicked that it also just starts to load then logs out. So basically I'm locked out of my system (windows xp home edition).

What should I do? Is it possible I deleted a startup file by mistake, and in that case should I reinstall xp? I have a lot of important files on the hard drive so I'm really worried :thumbsup: Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Edited by karin_, 10 August 2008 - 09:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sharpe95

sharpe95

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

Just to clarify first, I am not a computer expert, and probably never will be, but I like to think of myself as having a little more computer knowledge than the average user.

Before you read this, just know that I don't know too much about OS's and computer workings in general. The whole thing may either be the most foolish advice ever, or possibly the only option you have.

There's not really much you can do, locked out of your own OS. You've tried logging into all of the accounts, right?

One option you might take is to use the Windows Rescue Disk. I've never used it before, I don't know what it does or if it can help you at all, but you might want to look it up and see if it can help you.

Another option is to download a .iso file of a Linux live CD. Insert the CD before you boot, and it'll boot into the live cd. You could mount the Windows partition while using the live CD. Really, I'm not 100% sure you can do this on a live cd, but it can be done on a regular Linux OS. After mounting the partition, browse through Windows and look for the important files. Um, then you can maybe scan them with a anti-virus scanner (maybe you can download one from the internet, or get one from the repository). Again, I doubt that the files will be infected at all or if the scanner can even recognize Windows viruses. Then plug in a flash disk and see if you can transfer the files to the disk. AGAIN, there may be some difficulty in getting the files onto the flash disk.

This whole process is purely theoretical, and I doubt that it can be pulled off without complications. Most likely, there are far better and simpler ways out there of retrieving your important files. I'm just trying to help, though. Being locked out of your own system can really complicate things.

Edited by sharpe95, 10 August 2008 - 11:29 PM.

#3 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin' Panda

• Members
  • 9,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

karin_ have you tried to boot up in safe mode? By rebooting in safe mode you may be able to use a flash drive to find the files you want saved. OR in safe mode you may be able to run MBAM on your computer. Here is a tutorial on how to get into safe mode.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#4 karin_

karin_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 02:05 AM

I ended up taking my computer in today to get the data backed up professionally and then a clean install because no matter what I tried I was locked out of the system at the login screen. Thank you guys for all your help though!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:59 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

Some types of malware can result in a system so badly damaged that a Repair Install will NOT help!. Reinstalling Windows without first wiping the entire hard drive with a repartition and/or format will not remove the infection. The reinstall will only overwrite the Windows files. Any malware on the system will still be there afterwards. Starting over by wiping your drive, reformatting, and performing a clean install of the OS removes everything and is the safest action.

For Tips to protect yourself against malware and reduce the potential for re-infection, be sure to read:
• "Simple and easy ways to keep your computer safe".
• "How did I get infected?, With steps so it does not happen again!".
• "Best Practices - Internet Safety for 2008".
• "Hardening Windows Security - Part 1 & Part 2".
• "IE Recommended Minimal Security Settings" - "How to Secure Your Web Browser".

• Avoid gaming sites, underground web pages, pirated software sites, and peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs. They are a security risk which can make your computer susceptible to a smörgåsbord of malware infections, remote attacks, exposure of personal information, and identity theft. Many malicious worms and Trojans spread across P2P file sharing networks, gaming and underground sites. Users visiting such pages may see innocuous-looking banner ads containing code which can trigger pop-up ads and Flash ads that install viruses, Trojans and spyware. Ads are a target for hackers because they offer a stealthy way to distribute malware to a wide range of Internet users. The best way to reduce the risk of infection is to avoid these types of web sites and not use any P2P applications. Read P2P Software User Advisories and Risks of File-Sharing Technology.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users