Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video/graphics Card Choice

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:10 PM

Just finished with my second budget build, and am looking to add a video card.

Here are the system specs

ECS GF7050VT-M MoBo

Pentium Dual Core E2180 CPU

WD2500AAKS 250Gb HD

Mushkin 2Gb SP26400 Mem.

Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU

Pioneer 20X DVD-R model# DVR-215DBK

HEC 6XR8 ATX mid tower

Samsung 19" LCD monitor Syncmaster 940BW

Haven't decided on an OS. Have Ubuntu 8.04 installed now.

I am totally clueless when it comes to video cards. Don't really know if I need one. I'm not into gaming unless you consider spider solitaire and mahjongg tiles gaming. Basically just wanting to tinker with something new.

Regards

Jim

Edited by Jim P, 10 August 2008 - 09:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:27 PM

Your motherboard has on-board video, meaning you don't need a graphics card for simple tasks. If you want more power, along with recovering your PC's memory since on-board uses system RAM, you should get a simple video card. If you want an NVidia card, the GeForce 9500 GT is a good choice. If you want an ATI/AMD card, the Radeon HD 3650 will be adequate. Remember, if you want to install a graphics card, you need to disable the on-board card in your PC's BIOS.

3939.png

#3 Jim P

Jim P
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:13 AM

Your motherboard has on-board video, meaning you don't need a graphics card for simple tasks. If you want more power, along with recovering your PC's memory since on-board uses system RAM, you should get a simple video card. If you want an NVidia card, the GeForce 9500 GT is a good choice. If you want an ATI/AMD card, the Radeon HD 3650 will be adequate. Remember, if you want to install a graphics card, you need to disable the on-board card in your PC's BIOS.

Thanks for the reply.

I would prefer to keep the cost under $75.00. With either one of these cards, a little shopping around I should be able to do that.

What's the difference between the cards you mention? Will my PSU handle either card?

Thinking about bumping up the memory to 3gb, will this help?

Jim

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:26 PM

Shopping around could get you a good price for the card. The most obvious difference between the two cards is manufacturer. The NVidia cards, depending on the application and type of card, are a little faster and have some additional features, such as CUDA. The AMD cards are a little cheaper and you get more card for less money. Some people choose to combine two or more cards in a PC to make for one powerful graphics solution. The technology used to do this only works with one brand either ATI/AMD or NVidia. This means that you would need all cards to be from the same manufacturer. Since this is a budget build, you will most likely not be needing to combine cards in such a way. This allows for a greater choice of graphics cards. If you choose to get an NVidia-based card, get one from EVGA or XFX. If you're getting one from ATI/AMD get one from Gigabyte or Asus. The Radeon HD 3650 offers a good well-rounded card.

3939.png

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:26 PM

For doing what you do...the onboard will be more than sufficient.

If you don't game...you really don't need anything other than onboard for routine functions/programs.

If you insist on spending money on something...think RAM :thumbsup:. 4GB is better than two, even with XP.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users