Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Knowledge Thread... Not Sure If In Right Place

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 gheese

gheese

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:46 PM

SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TO TIE A BAIT TO A TREE, WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BAIT? WHO KNOWS... working off this computer which is only used for lets say for lack of words... have you ever downloaded a song without paying? Anyhow, I forgot that I had not gotten rid of all things to my external or out of this system as I continued to run "songs" that we all download for free in a high risk/reward way and got caught. Knew it right away, but was too late. I seen the leak and was penetrated. Luckily for my dumbazz for not completely erasing my existence of this computer I managed to make sure nothing was taken. Realistically though if someone wanted my existence they would not get far, but still enough to get that would get me or yourself ticked off a bit. So now I traced... decided to backtrack and find what exactly that file did and who may have did it... so now im going to load up a trail that should lead him right back here with a wide open door to money. Lets see if it works... I call his bluff... and no its not an american bank account that I have open for him/her to seize. I am dumb, but not that dumb. If this post does stay up long I will update. If taken down just remember (well if american) its a FREE country. If you do not have to pay the IRS and they cant pin you... who could? BAIT LOADED, INTRUDER WELCOMED!!! (by the way I think I completely messed my computer up with combo fix and deletion of wrong HJT stuff)... so trust the guys in here not to do anything until they say so. Good forum! I had no clue what I was doing with HJT and messed up my registry horrible and in the end did nothing good. Fresh installation was bound to happen though because I knew what I had was and could be still around... BAIT!!! Sorry... forgot, I do have one bank account open on this that is american and not ran through several intermediate sites, but not much there. In America the less you have your name tied to things the easier you live!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:52 PM

This is a good thread that I will not turn into a blog, but to many of the super novices in cyber world it can be worthwhile. "operation bait" as this is now called, atleast on my end is well into its process. I have painted 5 possible scenarios as to why no real activity taken or MONEY or ID yet. 1. my name does not go too far (example 10 email accounts, 1 have my real name) 2. the baiteeeee likes to sleep a lot, 3. he realized there is not a reward and is moving or moved on. 4. he is timely waiting still upon pounce mode, 5. he knows with what I presented as BAIT is too much to tackle because of security OUTSIDE of my computer on the money that he knows about.

Anyhow point of this reply was to not freak out because you get something or someone penetrates the system... crackers and ppl who love to flaunt are mostly out there... hackers and malicious attacks that take identity or may pose a threat to your personal data rarely happens... its only higher than ever because kids nowadays are online from age 18 months and taught how to write progamming at high levels by the time they are 14. Its the world we live in. Everything on here (internet) is a threat, but rarely will someone go through with what they could. They may flex muscle or show activity, but in the end it usually ends up being harmless. TRUTH!!!

"operation bait" will now go underground as I can and will not turn this into a blog, but weill continue to update should any further developments occur, most likely in a few short days you will get a reply from me saying "he did nothing"

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:03 PM

ok, I just have to reply here.

Your words are so vague that I don't really understand what all happened precisely. I'm gonna try to bear with you on this, but you'll need to bear with me too.

Based on what you said:

working off this computer which is only used for lets say for lack of words... have you ever downloaded a song without paying? Anyhow, I forgot that I had not gotten rid of all things to my external or out of this system as I continued to run "songs" that we all download for free in a high risk/reward way and got caught. Knew it right away, but was too late. I seen the leak and was penetrated.

You were downloading illegal content and running it? And you were surprised you got infected? What infection did you have? Most infections are not individual hackers. They are not in it for your data in general, they couldn't care less about you or your machine. They are in it to get username/passwords, whatever info they can get from you, and to do damage. If a backdoor component was installed, you may have given control of the machine to someone else and the computer could have been used to spam, or to perform DDoS attacks. That's what it amounts to.

As far as adware goes (the kind that brings pop ups and redirects you to dubious sites), the purpose is to make money off of you. By getting your computer to load their ads (popups) they get paid. For each browser page being redirected to their site, they get paid. It's all about money. It is extremely rare that it be personal.

Unless you know your way around packet sniffers and have a testing environment and generally know what you're doing, I suggest you get your machine cleaned up and just work on staying safe. If not for you, then for everyone else's sake on the net. We sure don't need volunteer spammers/DDoSers, there's enough zombie bots out there already. No need to add to the pool if you can avoid it.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 gheese

gheese
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 121 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:37 PM

yes a backdoor (obviously) component was tossed in, but that is NOT the point. The point is to like you said "get passwords etc etc from my machine"... they did not get none of that, and I released the beast to them again only this time have the "i call your bluff" button pushed to the person who loaded this in my machine first place. There is only so far you can go and so much you can do when sent in circles or messing with money off sites that are more secure than the whitehouse itself. I welcome them to the money, take it... they wont. If they have a brain far too risky. most they can have are useless passwords of all that been changed and set themself/selves up to get insta-called if they do make a move. Instant you lose I win if they take "operation bait" to the next level, but that will not happen. Ultimately I believe the computer was backdoor taken and they got really nowhere with anything. I had no major attacks or popups and still dont. What they want and got was a bunch of circles, and nothing if a real HACKER wanted it. The less your name is involved nowadays the harder it is to do with information and/passwords. If people get a kick out of reading email that is from a non existent person that means nothing and is under another families name, and has nothing to do with you have fun is all I can say to them. People get their rocks off by a lot of things nowadays. I also allowed ZERO time for them really to operate anyhow so that can be another factor highly playing a role in this scenario.

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:48 PM

Doing what you're doing won't amount to much. In my opinion, it's not only useless but also extremely careless. Considering you didn't answer my questions, I'm going to assume that you don't have the knowledge to really answer them.

So, in short, please, do everyone a favor and keep your machine free of P2P apps, and make sure you are safe and protected.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

Retaliating to an illegal act with an illegal act is a clear violation of the rules of this forum. Please follow Galadriel's advice.

This thread is closed.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users