Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Processor Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

A few years ago around Christmas time, one of the big retailers (don't remember which one) had some $299 Toshiba Satellite L35 laptops. So I bought one. It came with 512 Mb of RAM which I upgraded to 2Gb.

Its processor is an Intel Celeron M 410. Its a single core 1.46 GHz. I would like to replace it with an Intel Pentium Dual Core T2060

Here is what I know so far. Both processors are physically the same, packaging for both is the Micro FCPGA. Both processors were used in the Toshiba Satellite L35 series laptops. Laptops with either processor used the same Bios versions.

What else do I need to know before I run out and buy a processor?

Edited by Ranger SVO, 10 August 2008 - 07:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

I have heard of some laptop manufacturers soldering the processors to the motherboard. Can your laptop's motherboard handle the new processor (such as FSB and BIOS being compatible)? You will also void your warranty if you are still covered by it.

3939.png

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:13 AM

I remember taking apart an older hp laptop, and I discovered that the processor was soldered into the motherboard as DJBPace07 mentioned. You should find out if yours is removable or not first.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:43 AM

Older laptops usually have it soldered. But when I was scrapping my Compaq Presario R3000 the processor was replaceable.

So check where the processor is at and make sure it isn't soldered into the board. If it isn't try and to identify its socket type. Make sure they match up with the newer processor.

Also just to be safe I would go ahead and flash the BIOS to the newest version but be careful with that.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 11 August 2008 - 11:45 AM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#5 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:31 PM

I thank you all for your replys. It is appreciated.

I already researched taking apart the laptop, the processor is Not Soldered in.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Tosh...rt-laptop-1.htm

I have already updated the BIOS with the latest version a couple of months ago. The update went well.

The only thing I dont know is if the MotherBoards are the same. Because the processors are both from L35 series Satellites, I'm assuming that they are the same or similar. My Toshiba is a Satellite L35 S2161 and it is equipped with a Celeron M 410. The L35 2366 uses the Dual Core T2060 Pentium Processor.

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...;all_docs=false
Notice the Applicable Models list on the bottom of the page, both models are listed

This is all the info I have at the present time, any more will be appreciated.

SO Help Me Please Make an informed decision

Edited by Ranger SVO, 11 August 2008 - 08:13 PM.

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

I would use CPUZ to find out more information about the CPU and other components http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php using this tool will allow you you to find a suitable replacement.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:54 PM

Again I thank all those that responded. So where would you go to find some information about an upgrade like this. Reading the responces I'm gonna assume that none of you have ever tried this.

Neither have I.

I still need nore info

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:01 PM

I have done this on laptops before, the tool above will give you in depth details of the CPU and motherboard, using this you can then purchase a replacement from an online retailer or local PC shop. Then all that is needed is to replace the old one with the new.
Regards,

Alan.

#9 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 09:23 PM

So tell me more.

Posted Image

How does this help me determine whether it is possible to replace my Single Core with a Dual Core

Edited by Ranger SVO, 12 August 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:47 PM

First off, it tells you the socket. You must get a processor that goes with that socket. It also tells you a great deal about the processor such as the multiplier and FSB.

3939.png

#11 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

I learn something new every day, but I know the processors are physically the same.

From my first post

Both processors are physically the same, packaging for both is the Micro FCPGA

So do I have all the info that I need, should this swap work.

#12 Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:07 PM

It is possible and it has been done, yesterday I replaced my Celeron M 410 (Single Core) with a Pentium T2250 (Dual Core).
The computer booted normally, detected new hardware (the CPU) rebooted and everything works. This thing is much faster

The information necessary for this upgrade was obtained here
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=285839

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users