Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Defects?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:43 PM

So far, my mom bought a laptop (brand new) for her, and my cousin. Both of them have the same CD/DVD Drive problems, they have disappeared from the computer completely.
I asked a friend and he said that I should try deleting lower and upper filters. It didn't work. I attempted to uninstall/reinstall the drivers but then it has completely disappeared from the Hardware Manager and I'm very confused. It still gets power because I can still open and close it. My friend also suggested that it was faulty wiring or a faulty drive?

I've Googled this but none of the solutions seem to work for me.

Thanks in advance.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:39 AM

Check device manager (Start> Control Panel > System (Hardware tab) and click device manager)

Check to see if their are drivers installed for the CD-DVD drive if not check for them on Toshibas website. You should be able to find the exact driver you need if you find the exact model of your computer on the site.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#3 Kibou

Kibou

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:57 PM

What model Toshiba is it? I have a Satellite 305 and I haven't had this issue.

Edited by Kibou, 11 August 2008 - 03:17 PM.

Posted Image

#4 TelMeDragon

TelMeDragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 01:47 AM

Gah, sorry I haven't responded in a while.
I remember one of them was a Satellite A305 or something. The other I don't quite remember, it was 13', that's all I know.

The odd thing is, is that it would randomly appear/disappear everytime you start the computer. When I was lucky enough to have it appear, I uninstalled the drivers and then reinstalled them. I thought it worked, but in the end it started acting up again.

Normally when you go into the Device Manager, there is a pop-down for CD/DVD Drives. That's not the case with the laptops. Like I said, it randomly appears and disappears.
Posted Image

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:24 AM

Hi TelMeDragon.
Tons of people are having problems with cd\dvd drives disappearing with the later versions of iTunes installed.
Bit of a stretch but if both these notebooks are using iTunes it just might be the problem.
An uninstall and reboot fixes it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users