Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would This Memory Upgrade Make That Big Of A Diff?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 302Xplorer

302Xplorer

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:07 PM

My old pc seems to get hemmed up some of the time. Since buying a new one isn't in the cards at the moment I am considering this ram upgrade: I am currently running 768 mb of ram w/ a 1.6GHz p4 and am considering upgrading to 2gbs of ram. For $77 is it a worthwhile upgrade? Main usage for the pc is office programs, itunes and webatron access.

Thanks in advance,
302X

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Hello 302X,

An upgrade of RAM will provide a good boost to the system's performance, however, you may consider upgrading the CPU to a faster model.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 302Xplorer

302Xplorer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:16 PM

What CPU could I add to my current set up, as a replacement for the current, of course.

#4 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

RAM upgrades help all around. Just make sure your motherboard can use what you buy. or post make/model of the comp and someone will point you at the right stuff.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:57 PM

If you post the make and model of your computer we can make suggestions on RAM and find out what the options are for upgrading the CPU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 302Xplorer

302Xplorer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:26 AM

If you post the make and model of your computer we can make suggestions on RAM and find out what the options are for upgrading the CPU.

Oh yeah, I guess that should have been in my 1st post.

HP pavilion 750n
RAM (standard) 512 MB
Speed PC2100/PC1600
Type DDRAM
DIMM Slots Two
Maximum 2GB

#7 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....PA=0&Page=1
is the full spread.
If it was me i'd probably take http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820220079

As for processors...these are the only socket 478s they have http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;srchInDesc=

Edited by smurfgod, 11 August 2008 - 06:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users