Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Generic Host Process For Win32 & Windows Installer 3.1 Error Messages

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ttillman

ttillman

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Over the past few weeks now my computer has been running very slow. I contacted a "tech guy" thinking I needed more space on my computer, i.e. hard drive and memory, (after seeing several pop up messages about virtual memory low). I might add that I assumed virtual memory was the same as any other computer memory. Well, the guy told me I had some viruses on my PC. Hmm, I thought. I was pretty sure I didn't have any VIRUSES. Back in Feb/March, or so, I had several computer viruses that Bleepingcomputer.com helped me removed. I also updated my computer with Bit Defender 2008 total security and was pretty certain I did not have any new viruses.

None-the-less, the techie said he added a new hard drive to the same PC tower (making the PC a dual hard drive system - the newer one with faster performance) - and keep the old slow drive as-is. I figured he wasn't skilled enough to fix the original problem. No worries, I imagined, as long as I could still use the old slow hard drive as before. All work and programs are still on the old hard drive - which I really, really need.

He also moved my external hard drive files, which was located on old hard drive (F:) and move it to old hard drive (G:) location. He added new or copied files to the old (G:) location. I'm not sure how this affected the programs. Most programs can't find the files any longer.

First problem I noticed was the inability to send emails. I am able to receive emails, but can't send them. I called my ISP and hosting services to help. They both directed me to my virus protection program provider, as everything on their end checked out OK.

I also noticed several of my programs won't open.

When opening QuickBooks I get an error message:
"Quickbooks has problem in reading this registration file. You need to ask your system administrator to REMOVE this file and re-install QuickBooks. C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\ Application Data \ Common files \ Intuit \ QuickBooks \ qbregistration.dat

When I try to re-install QuickBooks I get an error message stating QuickBooks could not update Flash 8.0 and Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1.

Internet access is now limited
When trying to access the Internet using Mozilla Firefox I can only open the program in safe mode.

When trying to open most other programs I get the following error message:
"The Windows Installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not currently installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance."

After spending several hours on the phone with Bit Defenders tech support, they directed me to uninstall their program (and any and all other virus protection programs) and then reinstall their program. I uninstalled their program just fine. However, now I can't reinstall their program. I am getting the same Windows Installer error messages.

On another note, now that Bit Defender has been uninstalled I can send emails again.

At this point I'm unsure what to do next. Can you please help me??? It must be something with this Windows Installer....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

Well...often (IMO) a virus or whatever can be removed...but still negatively impact future performances of typical O/S functions.

Files could have been damaged by the malware or during the removal of the malware...or, really, any time.

Did you do a repair install or a clean install of XP after this known malware problem?

Did the person...do anything to remove the newly found viruses?

FWIW: I don't think I know of anyone who has had one known malware problem only. If it happens once, it seems to happen more than just a single instance.

Louis

#3 ttillman

ttillman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

Interestingly, after being told I had viruses the techie could not locate them at all. So, instead he added the additional hard drive. I do have a couple of virus files located in the "Move It" program that are lock. I'm not sure if he found those instead.

I have not completed a repair install. After reading your post I tried clicking on the "Help and Support" microsoft link, but it doesn't work now. I assume that's where I need to go for the repair? The Help and Support window doesn't open at all now, surprisenly.

I agree viruses can come at anytime. But, for some reason, I just didn't think I had a virus. More likely, I had too many virus protection programs slowing down the system. I really don't know, I guess. Do you think I need to move this post over to the malware removal forums now? Maybe there are some dormat viruses around.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

Well...it never hurts to check it out.

Especially in light of being advised that you have viruses on your system...it would be wise (IMO) to either confirm or refute such an allegation by anyone.

I don't think it would hurt anything to be sure by posting in the BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

If it turns out that you don't, then it's a lot easier (IMO) to try to track down O/S issues without being concerned with the possibility of malware presence.

I believe they can also advise if you have "too many" defense programs operative on your system.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 11 August 2008 - 12:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users