Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound Also

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kre

kre

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:11 PM

Hi,

I'm new here and I'm here because I have a sound problem and I've looked through your posts and while I am very impressed, I don't see anything that I could use...or I don't THINK I can use it. So, here goes.

I have had this computer for about 4 yrs., no problems, to speak of. I am at my son's, he is on his honeymoon, house/dog sitting and because I'm going to be here for a while, I brought my tower with me. Here in lies the problem. My son hooked up my computer to his system, he has wireless, (I am mentioning the wireless installation specificlly because it is the only change to my system) everything is fine except I have no sound.

Now I can tell you about my system...but not much about his wireless.

I have an Asus motherboard PNP 8400

Intel 4 processor CPU 2.80 Ghz

SoundMAX integrated digital audio

and if you need anything else, I will be monitoring this board very close.

As I said my son had to install something because they are running wireless. This is what I have found on my Devise Manager
Compact Wireless G USB adapter manufactured by Lynksys

I have ran troubleshooting on the sound system and when I test, it shows it's working...both mic and sound but I'm getting nothing through the speakers or headset. Yes, I have checked all my connections, they are good, as far as I can see, the green plug is plugged into the green hole...etc.

Thank you,

kre
"You betchum Red Ryder"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

First thing you should do...go into Device Manager (Start/Run, type devmgmt.msc, hit OK or Enter).

Do you see any yellow question marks? Any red markings? Any indication that there is a problem with anything?

As for testing sound...did you try playing a music CD?

Is there a place in the front of the system where you can plug in headphones?

Did you try headphones in the green port of the sound card (in the back)?

Lastly (for now)...did you look in Event Viewer and see if there are any errors which might be enlightening?

Do you have your motherboard CD with you?

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:22 PM

Asus motherboard PNP 8400

No such motherboard model. PNP stands for "Plug and Play" and I think 8400 is probably referring to a Geforce video card
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 kre

kre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:41 PM

Hi :flowers:.

First thing you should do...go into Device Manager (Start/Run, type devmgmt.msc, hit OK or Enter).

Do you see any yellow question marks? Any red markings? Any indication that there is a problem with anything? That was one of the first things I did and there is nothing

As for testing sound...did you try playing a music CD? Yes, and no sound

Is there a place in the front of the system where you can plug in headphones? yes that is where my headphones/mic is plugged in
Did you try headphones in the green port of the sound card (in the back)? No, didn't think of that but I did try it and still no sound

Lastly (for now)...did you look in Event Viewer and see if there are any errors which might be enlightening? Event viewer?? Not sure what you mean, could you explain please?
Do you have your motherboard CD with you? Unfortuantly no, didn't really expect to need it...:thumbsup:

Louis

"You betchum Red Ryder"

#5 kre

kre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Asus motherboard PNP 8400

No such motherboard model. PNP stands for "Plug and Play" and I think 8400 is probably referring to a Geforce video card

Sorry, motherboard is an Asus P4P800 SE. The Soundmax is integrated with it.
"You betchum Red Ryder"

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:30 AM

Here's your driver
http://support.asus.com/download/

Edit:
Can't link directly. Just select from the drop down menu. You have a socket 478. When it takes you to the driver page, just click on the + by Audio and choose your OS

Edited by garmanma, 11 August 2008 - 07:33 AM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#7 kre

kre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I went to the link and there are several dropdown menus which one should I choose

Attached File  asus.jpg   37.82KB   12 downloads

This is the correct page, right?

Thank you for your patience :thumbsup:
"You betchum Red Ryder"

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Start at the first one and select motherboard. Go to the second one and select socket 478. On the third one select your motherboard model
Mark
Posted Image

#9 kre

kre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:05 PM

Thank you so much!! At least I have sound through my headset and can use my headset mic. I really appreciate your patience.
"You betchum Red Ryder"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users