Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice On Installing Memory Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kelley k

kelley k

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:33 PM

Hi, I have an HP Pavllion Media Center PC. It has 3072 RAM 640GB Hard Drive, Also AMD Phenom Quad Core Processor and OS is Vista Home Premium SP1. I want to install more memory but really dont know anything about it. I have heard you should install 2 equal memory when installing, With a Quad core processor would that mean 4? Any recommendations on type, size, brand etc.? Thankyou

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ph7ryan

ph7ryan

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

that is bullcrap about the matching processor amount...all you need to do is research what type of memory your motherboard can take, and how much...for example:
-My mobo can handle up to 2gb of SDRAM pc133 168 pin memory
-First start out with how much you want....I can use 1GB, easily because I know whaqt program I have running at all times, and always disable extra crap like kodak phto center and stuff like that....if you arn't really concious about how much memory you are using, I would go for 2GB, maybe 3....
-Then you have to make sure your motherboard supports this kind....(there are a few ways you can go about finding the product name of your mobo...eitehr take off the cover of your case, and look for a big printed on the board code, mine is D845HV...you can google what comes stock in a certain kind of computer...or you could search for a motherboard information program that will tell you everything that you need to know about specifying it....)
-One you know how much you want, and how much you can support, you can go about finding what kind you support...you can usually find this with how much you can support, as it will probably be in the form that I gave you in my example....
-Once you know how much, and what kind, shop around for the overall lowest price....
-High density ram is cheaper, but is very dense on the load that it carries, making it run a bit slower sometimes...also motherboards cannot always handle high density ram so check...
-Low density Ram is going to take up more room (slots), which can be vital if you have only 3 slots like me...Alot have 4+
-Vista also supports using a flash drive as Ram, although it is usually significantly slower, it can still work towards keeping a program stable (keeping your system from freezing up)
-To use a flash drive as Ram, plug it into a 2.0 usb port, wait for auto play, and at the bottom there will be an option called Readyboost, click on it, and select how much of the drive you would like to use as *Virtual ram*...This is then unaccessable for file use, but can be very helpful when running large programs all at once, or keeping those quick launch icons (the kodak and other crap) running without using up valuable system RAM

Hope this helps

BTW, if you are running 3 GB of ram, and still slow, think about going to start=>and in search type msconfig...it will bring up a utility manager, and you should go to the bootup tab, and disable all of the useless programs automatically started at startup

Edited by ph7ryan, 10 August 2008 - 05:05 PM.

#3 kelley k

kelley k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

Thank you very much Ryan!

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:35 PM

With DDR2 memory you have 2 options:
- Dual channel enabled
- Dual channel not enabled

To run dual channel enabled, you will need matching RAM sticks. But, from what I've seen, the amount of improvement isn't all that much. And, most PC's with 3 gB of RAM don't have matching sticks inside (it's usually a 2 gB and a 1 gB stick).

Also, you'll need to check in the System applet in Control Panel to see if you have a 32 bit or a 64 bit copy of Vista. If it's a 32 bit, you'll be limited to about 3.26 gB (if you install 4 gB that's all that'll show).

Then, it also depends on what your motherboard is able to handle. You can find that out at http://www.crucial.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users