Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Or No Connectivity

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wrenchman49

wrenchman49

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hello everyone! This is my first post and I hope I selected the right forum! I have had this problem for almost two months now and it is getting worse. Whenever connecting to the internet or while I'm on the net I will get the message of no connectivity or network cable unplugged. The problem is very random, it may last a few seconds to several hours.
When I click on repair connection or renew IP address it usally starts working again for a while. I have had my ISP provider out here so much that they won"t show up anymore!
I have a Dell E510 Desktop with windows XP media edition and the network card is a Intel Pro/100 VE.
The things I have tried so far are: update driver, unistall driver and reinstall driver, took cpu cover off and cleaned dust out,
did away with auto detect on network card, I have run all my antivirus and spyware programs several times. Also have run disk clean up and defrag and scan disk which I do on a regurlar basis. I have trend micro which runs in the background and I use there firewall. I also have windows defender, adaware se2008, and spybot s&d. I run all these programs once a week. I have some logs from Network Diagnostics for Windows XP. But figured this post was long enough.
Thank you for any help you may provide!
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:10 PM

Well...the one thing which I would have done...is buy a NIC.

My experience with onboard NICs tends to make me always have one or two around. It makes it easier to determine if it's the hardware or software/OS that I should be chafed at :thumbsup:.

I'd also check Event Viewer for clues. If there are no error messages indicating network problems...my vote would go to onboard device.

You did do your connection via the Network Wizard, right?

One thing I just thought of that may be a contributor...I had a lot of those situations (limited connectivity)when I set up my connection using the newer TCP/IP protocol, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb530961.aspx . When I stopped using that protocol and substituted the old regular TCP/IP...my problems vanished.

Louis

#3 wrenchman49

wrenchman49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:49 PM

Hello again!
I'm a little computer illiterate so I assume when you say NIC your talking about another network card?
The network card I have now is part of the motherboard. I still have a warranty with dell. I just despise calling them
and trying to understand them!! As far as setup is concerned our ISP provider set up the cable modem. We have had this connection for two years now and this problem started about two months ago.
Thanks
Mike

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 05:59 PM

Try these fixes:

Log on as an administrator, go Start > Run and type: "cmd". In the window that appears type: "netsh winsock reset". When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset." Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go Start > Run > type: "cmd" In the window that appears type: "ipconfig /flushdns". Close the command box.

Go Start > Control Panel > Network Connections. Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties. Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item. Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically". Reboot. Warning: Some Internet Service Providers need specific DNS settings. You need to make sure that you know if such DNS settings are required before you make this change.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 wrenchman49

wrenchman49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:08 PM

Hello everyone!
Sorry it took so long to reply, but with the problem I was having I could only connect to internet once in a while
I installed a network card and still had the same problem. I called Dell and got no help what so ever!
I finally got the ISP provider out here one more time, because it finally got to where I could not get on the net at all!
They found out the cable outside was bad and everything is working ok now. It only took them two and a half
months to figure this out. Oh well!
Thanks for all the help and input! This is a great site!!
Mike

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,934 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

Hey thanks for letting us know. Glad your're back on . Happy and safe surfing :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Raker

Raker

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 30 August 2008 - 02:14 PM

I finally got the ISP provider out here one more time, because it finally got to where I could not get on the net at all!
They found out the cable outside was bad and everything is working ok now. It only took them two and a half
months to figure this out.

I just wanted to add a little advice for those that have to deal with cable providers. If you have a broadband service through them and they are out to troubleshoot your
network connection one of the first things you should have them do is test for signal loss coming into the building first!! Then have them work it back to the modem. Data is the first to go when you have high loss on a broadband connection. Do not let them leave without performing this test (any goof tech will do this anyways).

My brother suffered through this same scenario with his provider and had them out on site countless times. They would do a drive-by service call where they would come into the house check to see if his TV and Phone worked and then they would tell him there was a possible problem with the wiring in the house or that it was his modem and needed it replaced. The problem was out on the pole and it would have been a problem to this day without saying/ :thumbsup: demanding something from the last technician.
Just make sure they are troubleshooting the problem and not giving you "face time" which must have been what happened in your scenario too.

My 2 cents.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users