Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Upgrades Needed?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Woody

Woody

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

Howdy all,

With the birth of our first child coming before February 2009, my wife and I are going to buy our first camcorder. Along with that, I am wondering if there are any needed upgrades to our computer that are needed to handle video. Here is a run-down of our current PC:
  • Antec P182 Case
  • Dell 2001FP 20" LCD monitor with 1600x1200 @ 60Hz native resolution
  • Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Mobo (DDR2 RAM, single PCI-E x16 slot, quad-core/dual-core ready)
  • Intel E6750 Conroe Core 2 Duo CPU running at 3.2 GHz (400MHz FSB, 8x multiplier - 20% overclock) at 1.200V
  • Scythe Ninja CPU heat sink with Nexus 120mm fan
  • 2 x 1GB of G.Skill DDR2 800 RAM (F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ kit) running at 5-5-5-15 timings
  • Gigabyte GeForce 7600GS 256MB 128-Bit GDDR2 OCI-E x16 SLI supported video card (model GV-NX76G256D-RH)
  • SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card feeding a 2.1 speaker system from Harmon/Kardon
  • Samsung SH-S203B CD/DVD writer (no Blu-Ray or HD DVD support)
  • Corsair CMPSU-520HX 520W power supply
  • Windows XP Pro SP2B operating system
  • WD Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM hard drive for O/S and software programs
  • WD Caviar RE WD1600YS 160GB 7200 RPM hard drive for Photoshop scratch disk
  • WD Caviar RE2 WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive for data
  • WD Caviar RE2 WD5000ABYS 500GB 7200 RPM hard drive for data backup (in Antec MX-1 external drive enclosure and connected via eSATA)
The main things I am concerned with are the processor and video card may bog things down when taking video clips from the camcorder and making them into a home video that I can burn onto a DVD. I don't really want to buy another motherboard as this one has worked just fine. But if you can make a convincing argument to do so, have at it!

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, advice, and help!

Jason

Edited by Woody, 10 August 2008 - 07:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:19 PM

Hello Woody,

The system is quite respectable, it is capable of playing some modern games. The three main components I would be concerned with would be audio, graphics, and processor.

I used to have the 2 ZS, It is not the best on the market, but it is certainly capable of good quality audio.
The graphics card will be fine for most modern games as well as video editing.
The CPU, looks good, however if you wanted to replace the CPU with a better model you could use http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php to find the socket number and see if there is a better product on the market.
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Woody

Woody
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:03 PM

The CPU, looks good, however if you wanted to replace the CPU with a better model you could use http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php to find the socket number and see if there is a better product on the market.

The motherboard is a socket LGA 775 and is supposed to support Core 2 Quad, Core 2 Extreme, and Core 2 Duo processors. The main thing I am debating is whether a move to a quad-core processor, and/or upgrading the video card, will provide any appreciable performance increases with picture and video editing. I don't do much gaming.

Thanks.

Jason

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:15 PM

The advantages of a new processor will be slightly faster editing times. While a new graphics card would also speed up things slightly. The quality of the video will also depend on what hardware is used to capture the video.

In my opinion your current system will be able to handle video editing without problem, upgrading the CPU and GPU will give a performance boost however it would be down to personal preference to invest in the new hardware.
Regards,

Alan.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:20 PM

You will be surprised how quick video will fill up a hard drive. I have 2 daughters, each with their first child, and an out of control grandma. 4 cameras and 2 recorders between them I just bought 4 extra hard drives and a couple of enclosures
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users