Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Infected With Something

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stupidkid37

stupidkid37

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:45 PM

hi everyone
my sister has a big problem. her computer, a dell 2400 with xp home, is not working.
heres how it goes
when i start it up, everything goes fine. the welcome screen pops up, and her background appears. then a window pops up that says
userinit.exe - Application Error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click OK to terminate the Application.
then if i hit ok or just exit, userinit is terminated. there is no bottom bar, or icons, just the background. i can still get to things from task manager but the wireless internet doesnt work.
ill leave you guys a few hours to cogitate this, but i know you will all respond quickly. i want my sister out of my room!!! :thumbsup:
thanks!!!

Edited by boopme, 11 August 2008 - 09:42 PM.
Moved from AII to XP forum ~~boopme

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stupidkid37

stupidkid37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:54 PM

ok, i guess no one knows what the problem is, although people are looking. anything i can do to help out?

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 10:15 PM

Try a system restore back to a time just before the problem surfaced.

Since there is no start menu, reboot the computer in safe mode. Log on using the administrator account. Start menu/all programs/accessories/system restore.

Wireless internet is out of my league, but hopefully she can get her desktop back.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:09 AM

If you think the system is infected...this is where you should post: BleepingComputer.com - Am I infected What do I do - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/

Thanks.

Louis

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

hamluis,

The post was originally made in Am I Infected.

It was moved here.

This post has been edited by boopme: Yesterday, 09:42 PM
Reason for edit: Moved from AII to XP forum ~~boopme

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:48 PM

OK...I suggest modifying the thread title...I took one look at it and looked no further :thumbsup:.

Do you have Zone Alarm installed? There's at least one instance of ZA file corruption creating this effect.

Louis

#7 stupidkid37

stupidkid37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

queen: i cant do a system restore, it says its not valid.
Ham: what is zone alarm? i dont have it installed.
how can i change the name?
thanks!!!

Edited by stupidkid37, 13 August 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:10 AM

Zone Alarm is a firewall.

Info: http://www.updatexp.com/0xC0000005.html

One proposed solution: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/userinit-exe-t26607.html

If the solution above fails to provide relief, I would have to assume that system file corruption is an issue, but that's just another guess on my part.

Let's assume that file corruption has occurred...in that case, I would try running sfc /scannow.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

In the event that sfc /scannow fails to corect whatever is wrong, I would try a repair install of XP.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:25 AM

Try doing a Last Known Good Configuration.

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1.Start your computer.

2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.

3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.

4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users