Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Update Spybot S+d

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:00 PM

I just ran my disk clean up+defrag. I went to Sptbot to do a scan + always search for updates prior to a scan. Another window opened to tell me that there is an updated version for Spybot. In going thru the install process I get an error message that installation failed to start because sqlite3.dll was not found. I don't know what this means.

In going to my all programs menu to try to delete Spybot and reinstall I was prompted to use the recovery section of Spybot. Also, I might undo any changes applied in the immunize section. That has me worried,all right!

Can someone please tell me if it's okay to go ahead + uninstall,then reinstall + look for the newest version?

Thanks
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drex23

drex23

Bleeping Existence

• Members
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:35 PM

It's actually a good idea to undo the immunizations before uninstalling. However, it sounds like you might not be uninstalling the program from the Add or Remove section of the Control Panel. What I would suggest is downloading the installer for the new version from the Spybot website, then before installing that version, undo the immunizations put in place by the version of Spybot you have. Next, go ahead and uninstall the old version from Add or Remove Programs and install the new version, applying the immunizations, etc.

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:12 PM

Thanks drex,
I ended up going to my add/remove programs list+clicked remove program. I got pretty much the same warning about changes applied previously during immunization. I went ahead+removed the program anyway. I went back to the Spybot site+downloaded the latest version from there. All went well for the install this time.
I went ahead+ran the scan with no threats found, thank goodness.

After doing all this I just now read your post so I undo the immunization stuff you were talking about. So......have I somehow messed things up? Do you think I should run one of my other scans just to be sure?

I still don't understand the error message about a certain .dll file not being found,tho. Can you hopefully shed some light on this for me in novice terms?
Thank you
honu1

#4 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:56 PM

No you haven't messed up. It is however recommended to remove the protections before the uninstall because the uninstaller script does not remove them. Since you were reinstalling after, that is not so much an issue.

As for the .dll not being found error, I can't really say for sure. The file was most likely corrupted in the install, and thus got deleted. It is located in the Spybot Search & Destroy folder in Program Files normally.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for all the input. I ended up taking my cpu to the local repair shop as it wouldn't stay powered. Now have the latest version of Spybot too.
Thanks again for all the help :thumbsup:

honu1

Edited by honu1, 13 August 2008 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users