Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wd Caviar Se

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 judyc1114

judyc1114

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

I have a virus and thought it was removed using the tools and suggestions for malware removal in this forum but not this particular arena. I used Hijackthis, ran a rapport and kept it. Ran Spybot Search & Destroy. I still had issues and used Malwarebytes and Smitfix both. System seemed to be okay.
I thought I was ok so I added AVG 8 for antivirus and PC Tools Spy ware Doctor. I took the advice to heart and will continue to use caution and safety when using the internet. anyway, after installing and checking my pc with Malwarebytes a few times and finding no more issues I decided to go online once more. I only used homepage and read my email, read the news and jumped offline. I opened a Word doc I was working on and left my pc for several hours (not connected to internet) running. When I returned to my desk the screen was black so I clicked the mouse and waited for it to refresh, and waited and then waited some more.
At this point I decided it was froze or something and rebooted. The F1, F2 and F10 were at the bottom of my screen as usual and then a black screen telling me to insert a bootable disk appeared. My husband helped me to scan the WD Caviar hd via usb so it would not boot and we could run the Malwarebytes of the hijack this and the Smitfix if needed. Nothing we tried would recognize the hard drive. We tried another pc and the laptop. We could click on local c drive and pull up the hardware tab and see the description of the infected drive but could not see it under my computer.
We tried the WD Datalifeguard Diagnostics and it could not locate the drive. We decided to put it back in the original pc and see what we could find.
The same scenario, blue screen with logo info and the F1 setup at the bottom. We restarted and tried F10 recovery and nothing happened. Restarted and tried F2 setup screen. On the main screen where information is located at the First Channel Device followed by a 0 (zero) then none. However the cd/rw appears under the Second Channel Device 0 (zero).
I started to post my Rapport log file I had saved and opened it to make sure it was the right file, it was blank, no info. I know the Rapport log had a file and it saved as Rapport on the desktop. I added it to my Kingston device for uploading if needed. But all the information is gone.
The WD Caviar is now making a clicking sound and I can hear a whirling sound (obviously the disk is trying to boot but does not.) My husband called hp technical support and was told "It's fried get a new one!" The person also recommended a data recovery could be done possibly but would be costly since the warranty was out.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Or is it past redemption and I need to play a funeral dirge? Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.
Judy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:26 AM

This may be no more than a WD drive that decided to go south (bad), it happens. If it's a new drive I would suggest sending it back for a replacement.

Good luck,

~Kalpia~
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#3 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:39 PM

Clicking=not good at all. The tech guy was right. There are places to send the drive where they can attempt to recover data, most likely will succeed. But unless its extremely crucial that you have it, then its probably not worth the trouble. www.newegg.com has some great deals on hard drives right now. There are some tricks you could try that "might" let you recover some of the data on it, but i'm not familiar enough with them to direct you. Wait for some of the real techs to see the post, or google hard drive click, or click of death. Be forewarned tho, if you try anything yourself you're pretty much ruining the chance that any professional data recovery will have to get anything off it. No matter how you go tho that drive is dead.

#4 judyc1114

judyc1114
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 07:54 PM

Thanks, I played the funeral dirge and let it rest in peace. Bought a new one though and learned a lot from this lesson. Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users