Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate Disc Wizard (acronis True Image)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 benny269

benny269

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hi

I am trying to create an image/clone of the Windows partition on my HDD so that I may take a snapshot of its setup, applications, tweaks and preference as I have set them post-'fresh install'. I have managed to download and install the Seagate Disc Wizard which I'm told is identical to recent versions of Acronis True Image under a different brand name and need a walkthrough of the process. I simply want to create a backup file (preferably one that I can burn to CD and store safely) such that in the event that I want to format my PC again, I can bring it back directly to its current state. I do not wish to change/destroy/damage any data that is currently on the drive. I cannot seem to find simple instructions on which options to select at the Disc Wizard interface to perform this action either on the Seagate website or elsewhere.

Any help is always appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:01 PM

Run DW, select the Image Backup option, the Create Image Backup Wizard will start.

Click Next, the option My Computer is selected, click Next. Ensure just your Windows system partition is selected in the dialog, click Next.

Choose a location to put the backup image (it cannot be on the partition that is being backed up), and specify a suitable file name. The option to create a full image backup will be selected (other options are only available in the full TI), press Next.

Choose either to use default options or set manual options (I select manual and set higher compression than default. You can also select to split the archive file if for example you will want to store a copy on CD and it is too big. DVD is preferable for this reason). Click Next.

Add comments if you wish. This allows you to describe the exact system condition of the backup file, eg you could have images of very different software installations. Click Next.

Check that the options listed agree with what you wanted to do, click Proceed.

When the image is created, use the Validate Image Backup task to ensure the image is good. Store images in more than one place - I have one copy on my D: drive in each of my systems, for quick restore, and at least one backup DVD for each.

Have you made at least one bootable recovery CD with the Create Bootable Media option?

Edited by Platypus, 11 August 2008 - 05:01 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 benny269

benny269
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:32 AM

Hi Platypus

Thanks for the instructions list. They're clear, concise and simple just the way I needed. I managed to create a backup, but I've ended up with 2 separate files marked with different positions in sequence (1 and 2) although with the same file name. Is this always the case? Do I then necessarily need to keep the 2 files together in order to successfully use them to restore back to that point? i.e. If I burn the files to DVD, do I need to burn them to the SAME DVD? I would much prefer to just have 1 if at all possible.

Thanks also for the tip on creating a bootable recovery CD with the Create Bootable Media option - I have done so. Thus in the event I do want to restore to a backup what is the procedure - boot with recovery CD and then provide the backup DVD?

Thanks

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:59 AM

in the event I do want to restore to a backup what is the procedure - boot with recovery CD and then provide the backup DVD?

Yes, that's correct (and both files need to be available). Alternatively if there is room available for the backup image to remain on the hard drive partition, it can be restored from there as long as the reason for the restoration is corruption of the Windows installation, rather than drive failure. Restoring from hard drive will be faster.

If the largest of the two image files is 4GB, then they have probably been saved onto a FAT32 partition. The largest filesize possible on FAT32 is 1 byte less than 4GB. If this is the case, you would need to have an NTFS partition to create an equivalent larger single image file, or burn straight to a dual-layer DVD if the image is less than 9GB.
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users