Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

When I D/l A Purchased Software Can I Save The Process?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:28 AM

I know that this will sound like a very foolish question, however my neighbor suggested that I post so that I can get a better understanding of this procedure. Ov//er the years I have tried out purchase programs on Trial and then bought and got my key / license which I have diligently recorded and put away for safekeeping.
Then I have bought the CD that accompanies the program.
My neighbor tells me that I am wasting my $ b/c I can save and burn this to a Data dvd with my Nero program?

I have always been afraid to do this as I never do data cd's though I have apps that do Backups which I do regularly. The reason that I ask this now is b/c I will be purchasing 3 programs in the near future that want $10 for the program's CD that would be mailed.

I really would appreciate comments and brief instructions as to how to go about saving and burning via a Nero Data dvd of the Installed program in the Event of a Crash of my notebooks, which I backup....but you never know.

Again I aplogize for what likely will be interpreted as a silly question.
Thank you for your time.
BTW, would this "Save" also include drivers etc. if the App needed it? I guess what I am saying is whether this is indeed the best way to do this or should I opt for the $10 CD.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:51 AM

Unless the disk includes "extras", there shouldn't be a need for it.
Just download the executable and save it to disk, then if you ever need to reload the program, just run the executable.
When saving the executable to a data disk, I'd also include a notepad document containing additional information about the program, such as the key / license number, URL to the site, and any additional information that would be useful, such as any special instruction about how to use the program.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:37 AM

Let me see if I have this correct. I would save the d/l to the desktop and open the file to start the app and then when I purchase it do a "data" save of the exe. on my desk through Nero and add save the key there as well and any pertinent details is that the process?
I simply don't want to mess up here, thank you.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:05 AM

That's pretty much it. Just as a personal preference I like to store the executable in my documents, that way their out of site and easily retrievable.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

Just my personal preference, but I find it easier to just download another copy of the file when I need it (after saving all the registration info).
I've only run into one problem with this - and that was with Symantec pcAnywhere. Luckily I had saved a copy on CD because my communications with their tech support were fruitless (even though I'd purchased it from the Symantec online store).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:48 PM

Hmmmm....this gives me a lot to think about, as I said in the past I purchased the CD and have a binder full of the original cd's that I bought and keep them at hand should I have an issue.
I also have an external hdd away from here with the apps install and key saved on them.
I had always found it easier to find the disk from the company b/c I found their logo recognizeable and grabbed it right away instead of my "hand scrawled" titles on a disk.
Thx for the comments!

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:13 PM

I would like to add:

Make a back-up copy of all the disks you have purchased AND of any programs you save to a disk.
Most people don't think about this until AFTER they pull out a disk, and it can't be used because it has become very scratched up or because it's broken or cracked. A back-up is especially important for software that came with a purchased product because some products don't have it set up for downloading software from their websites.

#8 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 01:07 AM

I really appreciate these valued comments as it makes the grey matter work and think of things that one normally does not unless they have dialogue with another computer program user !!!
Thank you for taking the time to comment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users