Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp3

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:19 AM

All 3 of my notebooks are xpsp2 and running fine. I don't know what improvements the sp3 will give me over and above the existing program.
I don't want to do the d/l and then find that I am exposed to my notebooks having glitches. I guess what I am really saying is that all of my updates for M$ are in place and I am afraid to mess up a good thing.
However since I am computer illiterate as far as tech stuff goes I need experienced advice here.
I look forward to comments from those in the know !
Kind Regards.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hello georgia,

SP3 can be a problem in some cases. I have formatted my computer quite a few times recently due to a fualty hard drive and have installed SP3 each time. I found that (in my case) 1/5 attempts was unsuccessful and caused a few minor problems (lack of internet) However I also found that if all the updates for sp2 had been applied correctly and then SP3 was to be installed it would have less chance of causing problems.

SP3 is basically just a large bundle of hotfixes and a few minor features. While it is not essential at this time it is down to user preference if you want to install it.

rigel has put together a good list of resources about SP3 found at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/146857/windows-xp-service-pack-3-sp3-information/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 oneup

oneup

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:54 AM

I have heard that sp3 increases your speed by 10%, and its nice to include all the patched in the past, incase you miss one, or something. Its always good to be update.
Posted Image

#4 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:49 PM

I never installed SP3 and I don't miss it.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 04:04 PM

If it wasn't for the you have winXP Pro SP3 installed information on my computer's properties I would not know that it was installed.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:33 AM

Thx everyone, I really appreciate the down to earth comments as mentioned not being tech literate often times replies are too intense for me and everyone here made their comments concise and appropriate for my level of knowledge.
I really appreciate this type of input !
Ciao for now.
I don't think that I will add the program as I am quite satisfied with what I have going for me now and don't have the time nor the fortitude to open myself up to potential challenges that could affect perfectly satisfactory operating notebooks.
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 07:33 AM

No problem, glad to help.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic