Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Open Bmp File.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mewkips

Mewkips

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:08 AM

Heres the deal. I'm having trouble opening certain (.bmp) files. But this doesn't happen with all pictures, only some. I have tried opening them with multiple programs and always get the same type of error.

GIMP : "Windows BMP image plug-In could not open image"'

MS Paint : "This is not a valid bitmap file or is format is not currently supported"

IrfanView : "Can't read file header ! Unknown file format or file not found !"

PictureViewer : "Couldn't display... because a suitable graphics importer could not be found"

:flowers: Okay, so thats bout the gist of it. I've tried the Microsoft fix and renaming them but that doesn't seem to do anything? Also tried scanning to find the correct extensions and still no luck. Don't seem to be corrupt since they still work in-game. (Did I mention these are char skins in an MMO? ok now I did :thumbsup:)

Seems as though some of the alphas will open too but not others?

Ideas anyone??? Thanks in advance!

Edited by Mewkips, 10 August 2008 - 07:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

what game are they for? You don't have to tell us, but it might help. It might be that the game calls it a .bmp, but uses it specially for itself, like so only it can open it, to help with tampering on their files.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:45 AM

It's only bmp files in the game directory? Sounds like a proprietary format renamed to bmp extension. If your game has a support forum your best bet is to check there.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users