Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administration?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quinnteq

quinnteq

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:48 PM

Does anyone know of a good remote admin program?

I work with just a small network of computers, theres no Active Directory or anything like that. I just want to know if theres any type of software that i can use where i can monitor just four computers within a small home network.

Thanks!

Edited by quinnteq, 09 August 2008 - 10:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:29 AM

Hello quinnteq,

Logmein Hamachi may help. https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp?lang=en
Or realVNC http://www.realvnc.com/
Regards,

Alan.

#3 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:28 PM

TightVNC
http://www.tightvnc.com/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:37 AM

To remotely access your network, I would recommend something with a level of security built in, such as Remote Desktop (assuming your using windows machines). LogMeIn (I don't mean the Hamachi one here) is also encrypted for security, and the free version is quite good. LogMeIn Hamachi looks interesting but I haven't tried it myself. VNC is great for casual use but you need to also employ some security strategy with it if you use it over WAN.

To manage your network remotely, (that is, using a centrally managed console using SMTP to check the statuses of your network nodes) to check things like harddrive capacity, memory usage etc etc I would recommend trying something like OpManager. This particular piece of software has a freeware version, and although a bit cumbersome to set up it seems to work OK. I use it in conjunction with Blat to email me when trouble happens (although it also has email capability if you happen to have SNMP running on your network). I did have a list of a few Linux based monitors but have since misplaced it :thumbsup:

Of course, as nigglesnush85 and raw have implied, you will absolutely need to be able to access your network remotely in order to effectively manage it.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 mackone

mackone

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:40 AM

VNC can be used for remote administration of computers, however it is increasingly being used as an equivalent of Terminal Services and Remote Desktop Protocol for multi-user environments.

Back Orifice, whilst commonly used as a Script Kiddie tool, claims to be a remote-administration and system management tool.

Apple Remote Desktop provides Macintosh users with remote administration capabilities.

Radmin (Famatech Remote Administrator) is also a widely used tool for remote administration with features such as secure password authentication, file sharing, remote shutdown and high frame rate transfers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users