Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[help Needed] Reformatting + Internet + Network

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Gravesj2

Gravesj2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:51 PM

Hi everyone,

I would like to first off start and say thank you for taking your time to read this post and I hope I can explain everything, if there is any questions you may have please feel free to ask and I will try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Okay, I recently bought a new computer (Dell w/ Windows Vista). I have another Dell that I just reformatted w/ Windows XP on it. I took my old computer upstairs and put it into my room and left the other one downstairs. I hooked up our cable modem to the new computer by ethernet and it works great. Fast, the whole nine yards. Now I have my old computer upstairs that has JUST been reformatted, so everything is gone.

I would like to get internet to the computer upstairs. I figured, I would buy a wireless network adapter (USB) and a wireless router for downstairs. So, I went to BestBuy and bought both. Set up the wireless router, no problem. I also installed the adapter no problem. But it would not connect with the router. So after 8 hours with support phone calls I called it quits, returned everything and gave up, mad.

Now, I have looked into a couple things. Now I am reading things like I need to install new drivers to get my old internet connection back on the old computer because I reformatted? Is this true? Because on the wireless adapter it said I had a wireless VERY GOOD signal, but when I went to Internet Explorer it said unable to connect, ble ble ble.

So my question to you is ... what do I need to buy, install, etc to get internet working on the old reformatted computer. Wired/Wireless/Anything. I just really need internet on that computer.

The wireless adapter I bought kept saying unconnected and then connected, it would repeat this untill I took the adpater out of the slot. I don't know if this is because my room is too far from the royter or something, I think that it is ebcause i installed something wrong or something like that because the computer I am trying to get the intertnet on is almost directly above the computer I am on right now (the new one with vista).

I have read about PCI cards and opened up my computer, it looks pretty simple to install and everything.

So basically I am looking for a step by step guide type deal to get this set up. EVEN AFTER I install the router and adapter. All this acess points and stuff kind of confuses me, but to be honest I don't find myself terrible at computers.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

PS: All I am really looking for , for the computer upstairs is for music, messenging, and browsing online.

Edited by Gravesj2, 09 August 2008 - 09:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:54 AM

Now, I have looked into a couple things. Now I am reading things like I need to install new drivers to get my old internet connection back on the old computer because I reformatted? Is this true? Because on the wireless adapter it said I had a wireless VERY GOOD signal, but when I went to Internet Explorer it said unable to connect, ble ble ble.

Yes, it's most likely. What is the model number and/or service tag number of the computer that was reformatted?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:51 AM

Windows XP Home Edition

Dell Dimension 4300

Model #: DHM

Edited by Gravesj2, 10 August 2008 - 10:53 AM.

#4 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:19 AM

http://search.dell.com/results.aspx?spf=Di...h=False&p=1

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:09 PM

The service tag number on a sticker in the back should help narrow it down. The number is underneath a barcode
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

5S2R111

sound right?

#7 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

So when I hookedup my wireless router. Plus my wireless USB adapter, and it didn't connect to the internet this could be because I needed to download one of these drivers or something?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:46 PM

Update Those Drivers - http://www.cyberwalker.net/columns/aug00/310800.html

Louis

#9 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:51 PM

The wireless router and adapter drivers? Uhm, i just bought them. They came with the CD, I assume those are the most updated drivers since the software CAME WITH the hardware?

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:54 PM

I assume those are the most updated drivers since the software CAME WITH the hardware?

That's not always true. You did run the installation CD though, correct?
This is the download page for all of your drivers
http://support.dell.com/support
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:09 PM

Yes I did.

So after I come back in a couple of days I will go back out and buy,

a) http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1202648529130

AND

:thumbsup: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1197679236180

I will install all the software that comes with them.

Then go to the site and download the drivers for them, copy them to a disc? Put them onto my other computer.

And then everything should work?

...so you guys think the problem is the drivers?

Because when I tried to go online before, like I said, it said that it was unable to connect and then it gives you the options to connect or to work offline. That's when I gave up and returned everything. And theres a lot more to setting up an acess point also? Will I need to contact my high speed internet provider to set it up on my reformatted computer?

Edited by Gravesj2, 10 August 2008 - 03:17 PM.

#12 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 03:12 PM

I assume those are the most updated drivers since the software CAME WITH the hardware?

That's not always true. You did run the installation CD though, correct?
This is the download page for all of your drivers
http://support.dell.com/support

How willl I know what ethernet adapter ones to download? or do I just download all 3

#13 Gravesj2

Gravesj2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:32 AM

Anyone? =/

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 11:11 AM

Start/Run...type msinfo32.

Click Components/Network/Adapter.

Post the NAME line from the first two entries in the window.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users