Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

There's Gold In Them Thar Hills!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:29 PM

There has been speculation going of for decades as to how much gold is still up here in this region of the foothills where I live, and the general consensus seems to be that there is about sixty percent of it still to be found. I know people that go out on a regular basis and pan for gold, or will go out after the rivers go down after the snow melt and snipe for gold, or even go after it with a dredge. Every now and then someone makes a lucky find, and a couple of weeks ago one of our local high school students had the biggest surprise of his young life. He found a rock just off shore in the shallows of Rollins lake that has six ounces of gold in it. They figure the rock is worth about $5,500.00. This lake is one mile down the road from where I live. The story can be read in our local scandal sheet...er, newspaper that is! :thumbsup: You can read about it here.

Edited by dc3, 09 August 2008 - 09:31 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:58 PM

Sssssh..
Some of us have been exploring for a few years in the Black MTN area. Sssssh

[my little piece o land about doubles in price every time we take another out to pan.
BTW - most we ever took in a day was just shy of 1/8th oz.]
We invite some to trip out with us the first of April or so.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:38 PM

I'm about three or four miles from the north fork of the American river where there was a great deal of placer mining. Miners went to the extent of rerouting the river so that they could remove the overburden and go after the gold resting on the bed rock.

Rollins lake is a reservoir which is fed by the Bear river which also has its' share of gold. But most of the gold was taken a little further up the hill at Dutch Flat, this was a large hydraulic mining site.

As you can imagine, this find has generated a mini gold rush up here. Everyone with a metal detector is combing the shore line.

R.I.P. Franz, you taught me to pan for gold.

Edited by dc3, 09 August 2008 - 10:57 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:58 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss of your panning friend. HE was probably worth more than the little gold as a friend.

I joke when I invite others to come down and hunt for gold... I DEMAND 90% of a find.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:32 AM

I'm about three or four miles from the north fork of the American river where there was a great deal of placer mining. Miners went to the extent of rerouting the river so that they could remove the overburden and go after the gold resting on the bed rock.

Rollins lake is a reservoir which is fed by the Bear river which also has its' share of gold. But most of the gold was taken a little further up the hill at Dutch Flat, this was a large hydraulic mining site.

As you can imagine, this find has generated a mini gold rush up here. Everyone with a metal detector is combing the shore line.

R.I.P. Franz, you taught me to pan for gold.

Hope you find some,too,Dan.
Sorry to hear about your Friends,passing.

PM. How is Natasha?

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:09 AM

Thank you for the sentiment Doug.

Tasha is fine.

I was unable to PM you.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:13 AM

Must be the settings in controls.Will investigate. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users