Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slowdown problem

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 07:36 PM

Hi - i'm not sure if this is the right area, but here goes. my problem is slowdown. while waiting for lots of pages to load i either give up or get the "page cannot be displayed message. a major problem is my wifes games, either she cannot get into them or they lock-up. this has just started the last few months.

ok, i guess you need to know about what i have. internet - broad band cable ( roadrunner ) i ran dslreports.com and it shows about 4400kbs download speed and about 300kbps upload speed.so i don't think this is the problem.

computer - e-machines t1440 - 1.4ghz processor, 128mb ram (soon to be upgraded) 40gb hard drive ( only about 1/3 usage) windows xp ( firewall turned off ) SP2 - zone alarm, avg, spybot, adaware, ( all of which i update and run at least weekly ). stopzilla pop-up blocker. i think that's all.

also i regularly delete tempory internet files, recycle bin, history, and check to see if defrag is needed. when i check the programs that run from start-up i don't have a clue as to what most of them are. so i am very careful here.

so the major usage of the computer are my wifes numerous games - could there be some "residue" from them causing the priblem? so, i hope i have given enough info - if not, please let me know. looking forward to your replies - Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,503 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:58 PM

Have you posted a hijackthis log for someone to take a look at ?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 09:03 PM

How many of those games are in the startup folder?

How many of them have attached spyware, adware or other malware or trojans?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users