Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WindowsUpdate not working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 shoisch

shoisch

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:52 PM

I have 2 issues that I would appreciate your assistance on. I am running
XP Home with Service Pack 1 on a Dell Optiplex.

1) Am unable to use Windows Update. When I go to windowsupdate.com and click on either Express Install or Custom Install, the error I get is:

Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
5. Verify that the service status is started.

I have verified that the BITS service and the Event log services are both running and their startup types are both set to Automatic. My Automatic Update Service
will not start. The Description, Status, and Startup Type columns are all blank. The Log on As column reads 'Local System'. If I double click the service name, the message I get is:'Unable to open service Automatic Updates for reading on Local Computer. Error 183: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Do you have any advice as to how I can get this service enable?

Problem #2 that still remains is that I am unable to run AVGFree. I downloaded the program but when I double-click the icon, absolutely nothing happens. I have deleted and re-downloaded it a couple of times, but it simply will not load. Last but not least, anytime I download a program to my desktop, I see 2 icons for that program.

Total Catch-22 here, in that I am trying to download the necessary tools to keep these kinds of problems from happening, yet these problems are happening because I cannot run the tools necessary to keep them from happening.

Your thoughts, please????

thanks

Edited by shoisch, 18 April 2005 - 06:53 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 20 April 2005 - 08:56 PM

Lets tackle this one at a time:

for windows update see if any of these solutions help out:

http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

#3 shoisch

shoisch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

Nope. None of the solutions listed allow me to start the Automatic Update Service.
Don't know if this will help you, but If I start up in Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then I can see the column names for the Automatic Update Service. Unfortunately, when I right-click on the Service and choose Start (Start is no longer grayed out), I get a msg saying this service cannot be started in Safe Mode.

So, who knows? I've had a look at Microsoft Newsgroups relating to WindowsUpdate issues, and none of them touch on exactly my problem.

If you have another suggestion, I'm all ears.

--steve

#4 windowsxp550

windowsxp550

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

First as a last try to see if you can get windows update service started, go to START, then RUN, then type cmd

when the command prompt comes up type

sc config wuauserv start= auto
sc start wuauserv

(hit enter after each line)

If that does not work, then do the following....

There are 4 files that you need for Windows Update to work are:

wuauclt.exe, wuaucpl.cpl.manifest, wuaueng.dll, wuauserv.dll

They should be located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 and %SystemRoot%\System32\dllcache folders

I am betting that you are either missing one or more of these files, or one or more of these files have become corrupt. I would suggest running the System File Checker Utility. To run this you will need your windows installation disc, once you have popped that in your cd drive, go to START, then RUN, then type sfc /scannow

The utility will automatically replace any system files that are missing or corrupt...

Try that, then reboot and see if you can get Windows Update Service Running

Edited by windowsxp550, 21 April 2005 - 04:00 PM.

Free PC Help: At FixMyXP.com, our Speciality is Windows XP.
Got An XP Problem or Question? Get expert help, all free Check it out!
Click Here to go to FixMyXP's Windows XP Help Forum

#5 shoisch

shoisch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2005 - 12:09 PM

Was finally able to get the Automatic Update Service running by re-registering
WUAUENG.DLL. Have now installed all cricial updates (including SP2) on
this machine.

Unfortunately, I still get 2 identical icons on my desktop each time I install a program
and (more importantly) I still cannot get AVG Free to run. I download it but it will not open. I get an hour glass for a nanosecond and then back to my desktop.

ideas at this point?

SFC /scannow runs clean.

Edited by shoisch, 22 April 2005 - 12:09 PM.

#6 shoisch

shoisch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:31 PM

Have not heard back from anyone. Am pretty desperate here. I realize
I can burn the data to CD and re-install from Dell's replacement disks, but only want
to do this as a last resort.

Please respond if you can think of anything else I can try here.

thanks

--steve

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 25 April 2005 - 03:33 PM

Try this:

Download http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/files/pfind.php

Extract pfind.zip to your c:\ folder.

Reboot your computer into Safe Mode

Then open c:\pfind and double-click on pfind.bat. When it is done, reboot and post the contents of c:\pfind.txt as a reply to this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users