Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flickering Screen

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ICBM

ICBM

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:44 PM

My graphics card is the intel graphics Q35, and recently I have noticed some problems with it.
  • During the computer boot up, the very first screen (the place where it says press F9 to go to diagnostic and press F5 to go to whatever) flickers nonstop until windows starts up.
  • Certain video games, such as Halo PC (which used to work perfectly) now flickers nonstop, to the point that it is impossible to see anything.
  • The intel graphics media accelerator driver causes a one time flicker on every start up (not a significant problem)
  • The driver's shortcut keys do not work (I made sure that the use shortcuts box is checked). This isn't a problem so much as a nuisance
  • On some fullscreen media, such as video games or movies, alt tabbing causes the computer to switch gamma modes, which takes a considerable amount of time and then causes the screen to be very dark, needing the gamma correction settings to be reset.
Does anyone have any advice/suggestions about these problems?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:21 PM

You didn't specify whether this is a card or onboard, I'm assuming onboard. Dust and lint buildup can cause many strange overheating problems. It could also affect your graphics

Clean the PC

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/cleaning-the-inside-of-your-pc/

Edited by garmanma, 09 August 2008 - 07:22 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:16 PM

Also, assuming it is onboard video, it will be sharing system RAM. Try removing and re-seating the DIMM(s), there may be a poor contact in the slot. Alternatively, if there are, say, two DIMMS, swap their location. If the video comes good but something else develops problems, eg BSODs, then one DIMM is sick (in the bad sense...).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 ICBM

ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

It is an onboard video.

I'll try cleaning it, and seeing if the problems persist, get better, or change.

Thanks for your help, I'll post any developments here.

Also, hopefully the video isn't sick. (In the bad sense. If the videos somehow managed to become sick in the good sense, that would be pretty sweet....)

Edited by ICBM, 09 August 2008 - 08:47 PM.

#5 ICBM

ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:06 PM

I tried cleaning the graphics; however, due to the fact that it is an integrated video, there aren't too many parts to be cleaned. Nevertheless, I dusted out and cleaned up the whole motherboard a bit. It wasn't too dusty, since this computer is still relatively new.

I started up the computer again, and the problems still seem to persist. Could it also potentially be a problem with the graphics drivers? I uninstalled and reinstalled the intel graphics media accelerator driver thing, but nothing seems to have changed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

Uninstall/reinstall the drivers from the CD, eliminating possibility of corrupt drivers.

Louis

#7 ICBM

ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

The drivers came with the computer, and I did not get any CDs. I will look on the Intel website to see if there are any downloadable drivers on there.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,971 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 05:53 PM

The majority of your symptoms could be caused by driver problems. You may need to go into Safe Mode and in Device Manager, remove any remnants of previous video driver installations shown, then do a fresh installation of up-to-date drivers from Intel.

The first symptom you list is not related to drivers, as it occurs before any driver is loaded, then goes away when the video mode is changed as Windows starts. The video mode change will cause different memory locations to be used, hence my suggestion to check memory. If re-seating or moving DIMMs does not affect this symptom, you could see if the flickering also occurs in the BIOS setup screens (as long as it's not a graphical BIOS display), and also if you boot straight to a true DOS command line from a bootable floppy disk. If these flicker, since they are using MDA text mode, this would suggest the character generator in the onboard video is faulty. The only way to cure this would be to fit a graphics card.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#9 ICBM

ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 03:16 PM

I checked the BIOS screen, and it doesn't flicker.

I also went to safemode and uninstalled all the graphical drivers, then downloaded new ones from the Intel website and installed these. I restarted the computer, and the symptoms seem to persist. =[

I'll try reseating the DIMMs again, though I already checked to make sure they were seated correctly when I cleaned the inside of my computer a few days ago.

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 04:29 PM

I checked the BIOS screen, and it doesn't flicker

The Bios is active before Windows loads. It doesn't use Windows drivers.

Personally, even though it's an Intel chip I would go to the support site of the laptop and get the driver there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#11 ICBM

ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:12 PM

I checked the BIOS screen because:

you could see if the flickering also occurs in the BIOS setup screens (as long as it's not a graphical BIOS display), and also if you boot straight to a true DOS command line from a bootable floppy disk. If these flicker, since they are using MDA text mode, this would suggest the character generator in the onboard video is faulty. The only way to cure this would be to fit a graphics card.

It isn't a laptop, it is a compaq desktop, I'll check their support section.

EDIT:
I downloaded new driver updates from the compaq website, and now it appears to be running a lot better. The flickering seems to have stop, though not completely. Some flickering still occurs on occasion. The first "Compaq" screen that loads before windows boots up seems to be no longer flickering. This is odd, since that screen is loaded before drivers are booted up and should be independent of the drivers.

Nevertheless it seems to be at least a bit better, thanks for your help. However the problem doesnt seem to be completely fixed.

Edited by ICBM, 15 August 2008 - 05:48 PM.

#12 ICBM

ICBM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2008 - 05:47 PM

<This post was an accident. I can't seem to find the delete button>

Edited by ICBM, 15 August 2008 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users