Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pci Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 image

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:08 PM

I got a Dell with a sunken in graphics port(somebody must of pull the VGA cord out without unscrewing it first BROKE).
I want to install a new graphics card there's no AGP slot so I have to go with PCI.
but since the original port is busted I cant see the output to go into the
BIOS to use Set the bios to use another card..

Now when I install the new pci card the DEll is still trying to use onboard.
How can I solve this issue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:43 PM

If I understand this right, you can't see the plugin on the back of the mobo? If that's right, it should have no bearing on the BIOS. Just go into the BIOS and find your on board sound, mine was Legacy, and disable it. Then your mobo should pick up the PCI sound card. If you have a disk with drivers for the sound card make sure you install them too.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 image

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:39 AM

no not exactly.

the VGA plug is broken I can see it.
But cant use it to display my monitor so I can not SEE the Bios to get into to switch the setting from onboard to PCI.

Edited by image, 10 August 2008 - 01:04 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

The only option I can think of is to get someone with the same system to note down the exact keystroke sequence to access the BIOS setup and change the video from the onboard, to PCI. Then follow that sequence blind on your own system.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 image

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:00 AM

Yeah I know its a crazy problem.
I got the mobo model number P/N 411726100004.
I Google it but not really any info on jumper setting to see if there was an external way to set the onboard video to disable or anything like that.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:34 AM

Depending on the BIOS, it may automatically switch to the dedicated graphics card. When the VGA was broken off did it damage the motherboard?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:03 AM

The system is a Dell Dimension 2400?

If so, according to the Dell documentation, the Primary Video Controller needs to be set to PCI in the Integrated Devices section in the BIOS.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/syssetup.htm

#8 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:52 AM

My family has that same model computer. I remember putting a graphics card in it though, and it took it without needing to disable the onboard video. Using Platypuses advice, I went through the BIOS, and maybe I can help you out.

Turn your computer on, and mash the F2 key. Once in the BIOS, press down 7 times and his enter. This will take you to the Integrated Devices (Legacy options). A new box will come up, even though you won't be able to see it, and you need to go down 9 times. This will take you to the onboard video section. Mine was automatically set as AUTO, but yours might be set as Onboard. After you press down 9 times, press right or left once, it doesn't matter which one. Then hit Esc twice and then enter. The first one closes the new box you opened, and the second exits the BIOS. After you change a setting, the bios will ask you if you want to save changes and exit when you try to exit. The default choice is save and exit, so you just need to hit enter.

Now I will just label out all the steps without explaining them to make it easier to follow. Hit F2 a few times immediately after turning on the computer. Press down 7 times, and hit enter. Then go down 9 times and press the left or right arrow key once. Hit Esc twice and then enter.

In the link Platypus sent, you would only need to press down 6 times instead of 7. I don't know if that's an older BIOS revision of the board, because mine had another option with something to do with hard drives between boot sequence and drive configuration. The computer we have is 4 and a half years old and never once updated the BIOS. It has BIOS Revision A03. I don't know if you'll be able to find if you have the same one or not though without being able to use a monitor.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#9 image

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:14 AM

First of all
Thanks allot to all the replies this is deferentially a reliable forum.
Good stuff :thumbsup:

You were right "Sterling14" the computer should of took off right away.
I finally figured it out Since I was using a used PCI graphics card somebody had bent the pins to jump it, Probably to disable it.

Soon as I unjumped the pins BOOM!! work like a charm.

So if anybody ever had this problem remember to check the Graphics card for jumper pins as well.

Thanks a lot Forum members much appreciated.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:54 AM

Well, I'm glad everything worked out for you!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,666 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:59 AM

Excellent result!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users