Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 aircalculator

aircalculator

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:25 PM

Hi, I hope this is in the correct thread. It seemed to me to be either a problem with my motherboard or my PSU but I may be mistaken.

Recently I had been having trouble with my mouse (it was old and wouldn't go left easily) so I put in a new (well, actually old :thumbsup: ) mouse in the PS2 port. Since I had to restart in order to get it to work, I did so. From here the computer started issues.

Every time the computer starts, it does POST fine. It goes to the Operating System selection screen. For some reason, I cannot use the keyboard to stop the timer, choose which to boot to, or go to advanced options. However, during POST I could get to the BIOS (Del key) without issues. After the timer stops in which it should then boot to XP, the computer restarts and repeats this process.

I had lightning storms close before this happened, but I use a surge protector.

Is my PSU dying?

Any ideas why this is happening? How can I resolve this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:09 PM

Did you try putting the other mouse back in to see if it makes a difference?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 aircalculator

aircalculator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:10 AM

i tried unplugging the "new" mouse. still not booting. i dont know why the mouse would be causing this though.
i already threw away the old mouse.

#4 LynnKnows2

LynnKnows2

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:10 PM

Hey! I'm slightly confused. You said that you can't use the keyboard to stop the timer, etc but you were able to use it to get into BIOS. How old is your keyboard? Is your keyboard wireless??

#5 possumbarnes

possumbarnes

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:50 PM

What type of keyboard and mouse? Wireless? USB? Ps2? And, even though it is quite possible that the mouse is creating a conflict of some type, it would be one of those rare occurrences that drive techs nuts. And, like LynnKnows2 says, it doesn't make sense that you can get into BIOS but not select which mode of Windows to go into. Can you try a different keyboard, just to be sure your keyboard didn't short out with the lightning?
What's more irrational--a guy who believes in a God he cannot see or a guy who is offended by a God he doesn't believe in?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users