Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gregoryd

gregoryd

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:26 PM

Would a generic power supply work in a Hewlett Packard Pavilion?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 aircalculator

aircalculator

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 04:31 PM

It should. How many watts is it?

#3 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

The blowed up HP supply is 100 watts and the 'even older but still works' supply is 120 watts.
Is there anything I need to pay attention to as far as connections go?
My wife and kids have turned that machine into the worlds largest photo album and it would completely ruin my day if I flocked it up.

#4 Jim P

Jim P

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:46 PM

The good old 100watt Bestec PSU's. :thumbsup:

I purchased a generic 250Watt?? replacement on eBay around $22 shipping included. Loud and the leads were a little short but it works.

Newegg sells replacements for the old Pavalions also, maybe a little better quality than the ebay specials. Would have bought mine from Newegg if I had known about them at the time I needed one.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:26 PM

I put an Antec in one. Size is an issue. I had to remove the front bezel and partially slide the optical drives out to install. Then put everything back together
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:20 PM

OK. A bud told me that this power supply is a 120 watts.
All I can tell you is that according to the stickerage on it, it's a CSI Model:CS230P.
There is no indication as to the output wattage. Just voltage.
Google says I have no paddle on this creek.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

If you google the model with the words power supply you should be able to find out what the wattage of the PSU is. It should be a ATX form factor, so buying another shouldn't be a problem, but as Mark has pointed out, getting the old one out and the new one in can be a challenge of you ingenuity.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

lol amen to that. If i ever have to replace this PSU again i'm chuckin the whole case. took all the panels off it, took the DVD drives out and had to pry it out the top hole with a butterknife lol

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:24 PM

Yeah, but you did it when others said you can't. That's a good feeling
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 gregoryd

gregoryd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 01:58 PM

OK, thanks.
Saying the Pavilion is a tight fit compared to the generic tower I'm taking the PSU out of, is like saying the space shuttle has the odd nut and bolt. This will not be a hangover project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users