Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Skips

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 illmatic

illmatic

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:52 PM

In the Windows Task Manager, Image Name: System, User Name: SYSTEM will shoot up in the CPU column from 0 or 1 to 10 or 11 when the sound etc. skips. I really only notice it if I'm listening to music or playing a game online. The music will just stop then start again like it's jerking. If I'm playing a game, like table tennis or something like that where the mouse is controlling the object in the game (paddle in that case), it will skip and I can't move anything, (sort of freezes) then when it comes back to normal it jerks forward into position to where ever I was moving it. It's only for about half a second as I said, maybe even a little less, but it will usually do two or three skips like that consecutively about every minute. My log is clean and Old Timer sent me over here. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 09:49 PM

How much memory (RAM) do you have installed?

#3 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:18 PM

C is 37.2 GB with 19.2 GB free. I don't think that has anything to do with it though. I remember this skipping happening a while back when I still had like 85-90% unused.

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:56 PM

C is 37.2 GB with 19.2 GB free. I don't think that has anything to do with it though. I remember this skipping happening a while back when I still had like 85-90% unused.

No, Enthusiast meant, "How much random-access memory do you have?" and you're thinking of Hard Drive space. It should be something like 128mb or 256mb or 380mb or 1024mb. Go to Start -> Run and type in msinfo32 and wait for it to load, then scroll down to where it says "total physical memory" and see what it says. It might also be fruitful to know what kind of audio device you're using, such as a sound card or onboard sound (part of the motherboard).

#5 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 08:34 AM

Thanks for that clarification Herk, I'm not so computer literate. Total Physical Memory is 512 MB and Available Physical Memory is 289.49. I have SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio with external Bose speakers.

#6 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

Aha! Now I'm going to ask your processor size. One of the great (guffaw) features of the SoundMax integrated audio is that it uses the CPU for processor power. (Steals it, in other words.) Your processor is stopping whatever it's doing to work for the sound card. It wouldn't be a bad idea (assuming you're on a desktop and not a laptop) to consider upgrading to a PCI soundcard, assuming (once again) that you have an empty PCI slot.

But first, I'd try upgrading your drivers. Make sure you use a CD cleaning disk on the drive and that your disk is clean, too. (No fingerprints or bad scratches.) Depending on your motherboard and so on, you can get the drivers from your motherboard company or someplace like driverguide.com, which requires a registration and they'll send you a password. You may want to install Everest infotool to get more information on your hardware. (Free for home use) Everest

Skipping sound makes me think that the lens is dirty on your CD or something and it's trying to re-read the information, which shoots up the CPU usage. But a driver upgrade never hurts.

#7 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

My whole computer skips though so it's not just the sound. Like I said you can visually see it jerking when I'm playing a game or something and I'm never using a cd. I'm either playing music from what I have already on my computer or playing a game from a website. My computer skips even if I'm not playing a game or listening to music also. As I said I watched the CPU column and SYSTEM shoots up. I tried just moving the mouse back and forth as I waited for SYSTEM to shoot up (no music playing, nothing open) and you can see the mouse arrow jumping when the computer skips. I have already tried updating the drivers for SoundMax through the Hardware Update Wizard and that has never helped. Should I still try DriverGuide.com? How do I find what my processor size is? Do you think buying a new soundcard would definitely fix the problem?

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 11:52 AM

The skipping cursor along with the skipping sound is indicative of not enough RAM or some program hogging the RAM.

With 512 Megs there really shouldn't be a problem though.

What are your video card settings? What else is running in your start programs?

#9 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:05 PM

In msinfo32, hardware resources, conflicts/sharing, I found this:

I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 PCI bus
I/O Port 0x00000000-0x00000CF7 Direct memory access controller

IRQ 16 Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D2
IRQ 16 Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24DE

IRQ 17 D-Link Air DWL-520 Wireless PCI Adapter(rev.E)
IRQ 17 SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio

IRQ 18 Intel® 82801EB USB Universal Host Controller - 24D7
IRQ 18 Intel® 82801EB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers

Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF PCI bus
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF Intel® 82865G Graphics Controller

I know IRQ conflicts can sometimes cause skipping, is there an indication here of a type of sharing that would cause this problem?

The startup items listed in msconfig are dsentry, ezSP_Px, igfxtray, hkcmd, mmtask, Weather, intercheck monitor, and remote update monitor.

#10 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

Can anyone help me?

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:53 AM

I don't like the look of your sound card sharing the IRQ with your wireless card. That could well be your problem. Go into Device Manager and try to force the sound card to take a different resource. I would do that rather than mess with the wireless.

From Device Manager, if you highlight the sound card and click Properties, does it show a conflict?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 02:46 PM

It says no conflicts and the device is working properly.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:35 PM

Did you see if you can force the sound (its not a card but it is onboard) to take a new IRQ? Since the wireless card was installed after the drivers for the sound I would leave the wireless alone and see what could be done about the sound IRQ.

If you have the sound drivers (a CD for the motherboard?) then highlight the sound in device manager, click remove, reboot, cancel if windows tries to install the sound drivers (or let it if you want) and run the CD for the motherboard. This procedure will likely get you another IRQ for your sound.

What type of computer is this? Did you run Everest? If you know the type of motherboard we can look for some sound drivers for you.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 05:40 PM

Disable the sound card (using the icons in the task bar) and see if your cursor or anything else still skips.

#15 illmatic

illmatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 11:06 PM

Yes my computer still skips when I disable the sound card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users