Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Can I Travel Through Ip ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chamuscas

chamuscas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

I was just wondering if an IP is like a telephone number and for example "www.google.com" is the name that corresponds to that specific IP, and we no longer use IP, (well we use but i think you'll get what i mean) What can i do to travel in the internet using the IP instead of the link throught the Dos prompt shell window.

:thumbsup: chamuscas

Edited by chamuscas, 09 August 2008 - 12:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:28 PM

In short, yes as long as it is set up that way. Other ip addresses are dynamic, where the domain will have to be "repointed" to the ip address as it changes (such as DynDNS or other service).

IP addresses and domain names are "linked" via DNS. These articles might help clear this up for you:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
bleepingcomputer.com tutorial: The Domain Name System

You can find out an ip address to a specific url by using the PING command at the command line, eg
ping www.google.com
After you hit return, the address will be followed by the URL in brackets. The ip adress I got back was 66.102.9.147. So if you put that in a browser address bar as http://66.102.9.147/ it will work as well.

What can i do to travel in the internet using the IP instead of the link throught the Dos prompt shell window

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain a little more, or give another example?

Edited by jhsmurray, 09 August 2008 - 01:30 PM.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 chamuscas

chamuscas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:38 PM

Tank you for the info that you gave me, sometimes i just don't know what to search for, but i hope that's about to change :flowers:.

I agree with you, I wasn't very clear on the last section of my topic. What i want to ask is more or less if it is possible to enter i site throught the Dos prompt shell window. Browsers are used to do this job, but before browser have been invented, how could we connect to a server?

#4 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:48 AM

A couple of ways to connect to a server with the command console is telnet and ftp. But these are not intended to interpret and display the html of a web page because for that you need to use the http protocol, which is what browsers are designed for.

Is there anything specific you need to accomplish?

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#5 chamuscas

chamuscas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:43 PM

No, nothing special. In matter a fact that was everything that i wanted to know.
Tks once again jhsmurray.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users