Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help With File And Printer Sharing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

Please move this topic to the correct forum I have it in the wrong place...

I currently have a laptop computer runnings Vista Business, and a desktop running XP Pro - I also have them both connected to the internet via a linksys Wireless Router.

I know this can be a done but im having issues and cant seem to point myself in the right direction... I want to be able to share files between the 2 computers, it can be as easy as a folder that I just save files into and be able to access them from either computer regardless of which one they were created on. I believe this is just basic file sharing but I cant seem to get the 2 different operating systems figured out to the point to do this.

Also, I have my desktop connected directly to my printer, its an HP Photosmart 8250 - My laptop has no printer installed on it other then distiller for making PDF's
Is it possible to print from my laptop to that printer, which is connected to another computer??

If anyone can help with step by step directions on either of these, It would be appreciated!!

Edited by garmanma, 09 August 2008 - 08:37 AM.
moved to appropiate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 giftedchick

giftedchick

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

im also having issues with sharing a printer so help would be appreciated here to :thumbsup:

i am using an xp desktop (with an hp 1410 printer attached) and im trying to get the printer to work wth my other desktop (vista)

#3 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2008 - 12:10 PM

bump pretty please

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 22 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Hi, I had the same problem with a Vista laptop and a XP desktop.
Here is my original question

I have a network setup consisting of a desktop running XP via ethernet cable to a Netgear router and a laptop running Vista connected via wireless through router. Computers "talk" to each other perfectly.
I have an Epson printer (Stylus CX3100) plugged into desktop via usb. Printer runs perfectly from desktop. Can't get printer to work from laptop wirelessly. I have manually connected printer to laptop and updated drivers for Vista and it prints while connected by cable.

Now the questions.
1. I have enabled sharing on the printer but it doesn't show on desktop in my network places. Should it? If so how do I go about getting it there?
2. I have installed the printer on laptop. Shows on network but can't get it to print anything. When I hit print from laptop the print job sets up then just disappears (not in printer queue). Why? How to fix? I
3. When I go to add printer to network on the laptop it knows the printer is connected to desktop but I get "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Access denied". It doesn't tell me why it's denied. How to fix?
4. Should I be able to print a document that's on the laptop on the printer connected to desktop? This is what I am trying to acheive.

and the answer from Tomo2-

1. Yes it should. Try the solution below...
2. This may be related to the general problem that is access denied.
3. On the vista laptop try this:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.
ChooseAdd a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.
A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is basement and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty
Yahoo! It worked. Go figure! I guess Microsoft thinks printers on a intranet are local.

4. Yes.

Original thread is here - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/126483/adding-a-network-printer/

Good luck! It worked for me.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#5 bgardner

bgardner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:42 AM

Thats definitely a good start - I dont think i got the computers even talking to each other, can anyone point me in the right direction to set that up

#6 dbough

dbough

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:47 AM

Vista: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx
XP: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...cutt_july2.mspx
Everything has a beginning and an end. Life is just a cycle of starts and stops. There are ends we don't desire, but they're inevitable, we have to face them. It's what being human is all about. -Jet Black; Cowboy Bebop

-CCVP

Well, Technically ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users