Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop Icons And All Applications In Miniature

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 heather93a

heather93a

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:45 AM

My little boy leaned on my computer keyboard and everything went into a small version. The normal desktop was small and central to the screen with black round the outside of it. I have changed the screen resolution to 1400 by 1050 and that stopped the black edging. However, the icons are still small and up in the top left of the screen and look about a quarter the size they should be. All application I open up, including the internet, are much smaller than normal and the text is very small. E.G. on Google the search is in the middle and the top and about 5/6 of the page is just white. I have attached a jpeg so you can see exactly what I mean.

There is obviously some shortcut on the laptop that has done this and I have checked out the hotkeys but it is none of those. The laptop is an Acer TravelMate 6000. I'm sure that it is something simple but I haven't found out what it is!!

Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Many thanks,

Heather

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:31 AM

Control Panel>Display>Settings-make sure your resolution is correct. Also, click on the advanced tab and set the DPI to large
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 heather93a

heather93a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:00 AM

Hi, I've tried that and it has made the icons marginally larger but it hasn't changed the problem of all applications being small. I've attached a jpeg of what Google now looks like.

Thanks,

Heather

Attached Files

#4 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:19 AM

on my Toshiba laptop there is a zooming utility and if i mess with it, it makes the screen smaller (like you describe kind of) and the shortcut for it is Fn+Spacebar

There is a little icon of a magnifying glass on the spacebar for mine, so maybe there is on one of the F keys?

#5 heather93a

heather93a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:26 AM

Unfortunately not! I'm sure there is shortcut like this but I have consulted the user manual online and there doesn't appear to be shortcut like this.

Thanks anyway,

Heather

#6 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:46 AM

You could try a system restore.

Click Start >> All programs >> Accessories >> System tools >> Cick on system restore
Then select Restore my computer to an earlier time >> Click Next Then choose a restore point before this happened
Then click Next and Next again

unite.jpg

#7 heather93a

heather93a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:21 AM

Syler, you are wonderful!! That has just done the trick! I didn't know how to do this so is useful to know. It is also great that it doesn't change any work that you have saved from the original date to the restored date.

Many thanks,

Heather

#8 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:36 AM

Your welcome im glad it worked :thumbsup:

unite.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic