Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange Process In Startup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Baviss

Baviss

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:41 AM

I was cruising through the startup configuration utility thingamajiggy because I recently learned how to use it. I found a process that has nothing in its name or "Command" i.e. it is blank. I was wondering if I should turn it off or leave it on. I have attached a screenshot of it.

Thanks

(P.S. the other processes are blurred out, because I saw someone else had done it to their image and guessed that it might be a smart thing to do. If an original screenshot is needed, just ask and I'll get one.)

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 09:26 AM

You want to leave that alone
A better and much safer way to disable start up items is to download:
codestuff starter control panel
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Dr_Manhattan

Dr_Manhattan

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:35 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:41 PM

I agree with the other post, leave that alone.

#4 Baviss

Baviss
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:10 PM

I'll check it out. Thanks

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 08:45 PM

If you're handy with the registry you could look up the entry and see what it really is. The picture doesnt indicate what it is, just where it resides. Of course registry editing has big risks, but if you've got experience with the registry that's an avenue. Valid entries use the registry for running stuff, but so does annoying stuff sometimes too. The fact that no name is listed is somewhat suspect to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users