Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rpc Terminated Unexpected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Herman the German

Herman the German

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

I installed a new anti-virus software today named DrWeb. After a system restart the program asked for a validatation code to obtain via internet.

Instead of waiting for a connection it produced some error messages, passing too quickly to read them and shut down the system.

After a restart I received the error message "Cannot find RPC server" (remote procedure access) followed by a countdown of 60 secs and the system shut down and immedidately loaded again. This procedure repeated until I turned off the power supply.

What I've done so far:

I purchased a new hard disk and installed windows XP on it, then went over to the old system and manually deleted DrWeb with all its subfolders + the entries in the start menu. Then I changed the boot drive, started the old OS and tried to delete entries in the registry.

However the time period of 60 seconds is not sufficient to search the registry. The continuous start and shutdown is still persistent.

Since I have a lot of applications installed on my system a completely new installation would take at least one week of work to regain the original status.

What are your suggestions to stop DrWeb from terminating RPC?

Regards

Hans

S
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:36 PM

Im not sure if this will help but you can check it.

Go to Start >> Run >> Type Services.msc Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and double click on it.
Check that the service is started and the startup type is set to Automatic, if it's not then start it and set it to Automatic.

unite.jpg

#3 Herman the German

Herman the German
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:40 AM

Thanks HJT,

I'll give it a try. Additionally I will of course complain at the provider of that software.

Hans
Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

#4 syler

syler

• Malware Response Team
  • 8,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 12:39 PM

Hi Hans,

I have been looking up your problem on google and found this information here which
suggest your problems could be malware related. Are you upto date with your service pack? You can try following the steps suggested in the link and see if it helps. If
it turns out your problems are malware related you should post in the HijackThis forum and see if you can get help there.

You could also try getting in touch with the staff at DoctorWeb to see if they no anything about your problems, hope this helps you.

Syler

unite.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users