Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will My Psu Be Good Enough For An 8 Thousand Series?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 12:24 AM

I am planning to install a good graphics card into my PC. I have a PCIe x16 slot availeble on my motherboard and I'm planning on getting something like a 8500 or a 8600 or even a 8800 series. But I don't know if my power supply will be able to support them. So I open my case to check the wattage of my PSU but there isn't any indication of the wattage or maybe I'm blind. Anyway, I took a picture of the PSU so you guys could check it out for me.http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd302/v...oy/P1030224.jpg If you guys could help me out with this, it would be appriciated. And about the "GT/GTS/GTX's", could you guys class them from inferieur to superieur? 'Cause I don't know which "GT" is better. Thanks for helping me out. Oh and should I go with Internal Hard Drives or Externals? I have a 160GB HDD right now and I've used nearly 80% or my space, so I am INNEED for a new HDD.

Edited by vi3tx13oy, 09 August 2008 - 12:26 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:56 AM

The make and model of that PSU is hidden by that part of the case, in order to see it you will have to remove it. Let's try it a different way, what make and model is you computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:39 AM

Well, I can't see what total wattage is, but one thing I noticed is you have two +12v rails adding up to 23A. If your power supply is 350Watts or more, you should be able to use at least an 8600 series.

The order of Nvidia endings go (from worst to best) GS, GT, GTS, GTX, GX2. GX2 means two gpu's on one card. You should also know this doesn't always mean A GX2 or GTX card is better than the rest. An 8800GS or an 8800GT is better than an 8600GTS. It's better to look at the numbers first then the ending.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

@ Dc3: My PC model is Acer. Acer T180 to be exacte

@ Sterling14: Do you think I should just get a 500 or a 400 watts PSU just to be on the safe side? 'Cause I don't want to cause any problem with my machine while it;s running like a 8600 card or a 8800.

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:29 AM

I'd recommend getting a new power supply. I tried looking up yours, and came across a couple people saying they are either 250Watts or 300Watts. This might be enough for an 8600GT, but to be on the safe side, I would still get a new power supply around 400Watts. If you want to play newer games, I'd recommend getting an 8800GT, or even better an ATI Radeon 4850.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users