Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Not Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sicatrix

sicatrix

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 11:48 PM

I bought a Belking wireless router and a usb thing for my computer to connect my internet. I plugged it into my cable modem and computer. It shows a connection to connect to and connects but there is no internet.. i think its something with DNS but i dont know what that is :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:20 AM

DNS for your knowledge is Domain Name System

Take a look at this definition and example at

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/glossary/definition31.html

Ive never used a Belkin Router or a wireless adapter through a USB Port, I'm more of a Linksys Router user and a wireless network card.

Did your router come with any drivers and did you install them or just plug everything in??

Knowing the steps that you have already taken to get where you are will help troubleshoot your issue

#3 bgardner

bgardner

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 10:23 AM

Also forgot to ask, have you tried accessing the router directly using its default IP Address??

192.168.2.1 Is the default I think

#4 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:58 AM

Your laptop and router will need to be on the same subnet as well. If the default ip address for the router is 192.168.2.1 as bgardner suggests then your computer will need an ip address somewhere in the range 192.168.2.2 - 192.168.2.254. It could be that your computer is expecting the router to give it an ip address using DHCP, if it doesn't get an address sometimes the computer can self assign an ip address in completely different range from one that your router will allow to connect to the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users