Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Wireless Router And Three Laptops

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 gracecarriveau

gracecarriveau

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:44 PM

Before I get any deeper into this, I thought I'd ask here first. I've already spent a good four hours researching this problem on the web. And while the guys at Best Buy were very helpful today, I'm not sure if they understood what I need to do.

Our household has a total of three laptops that are used. Mine is a Gateway Fx running Vista Premium with the a/b/g/n wireless adapter. My grandmother has a Presario V6200 running Vista Basic with the b/g wireless adapter. My daughter's laptop is a Toshiba Satelitte A105 running Windows XP sp1, with the b/g wireless adapter as well.

Our house is a fairly decent size two story, with my daughter and grandmother's rooms upstairs, and mine is downstairs. We have Sprint Broadband, using a wireless aircard 595U. Needless to say, we are running into problems sharing the one aircard now that it's summer and everyone is home.

The guys at Best Buy, recommended the Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router WPN824 as it delivers the best range and works with the g adapter. Were they correct in this? And if so, how do I set it up when there is no usb slot in the router and that's what the aircard uses. These may be dumb questions, but for the life of me, I can't figure out this whole wireless router thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. And would definitely help with whole 'it's my turn to use it' arguments we are having.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 10:59 AM

Hello gracecarriveau,

Could you provide links to the products in question so we can check for compatability issues?
Do all the computers have wireless adapters built in?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 The G Bomb

The G Bomb

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:20 AM

I won't comment on their recommendation as I don't know enough about that model, but Netgear usually are quite reliable, I have used the DG834 range of wireless and wired routers for some time and find them great.

You initially connect to it using an ethernet (network) cable and this has to be done at least once to switch on services and configure the router, wireless connectivity and DHCP if you plan to use it.

You should change the default password and set up your broadband connection while first connected through the network port, as this helps rule out a whole bunch of issues to worry about if you encounter any problems connecting to the internet, i.e. the wireless side if things.

#4 gracecarriveau

gracecarriveau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:15 AM

Hey all, thanks for replying.

Here's a link to the page for the router that I bought:

Wireless Router

All of our laptops have wireless adapters built in and all of them support the g-link. The part I'm confused about, is that it says the router requires connection to the internet via a broadband cable for the initial set up. But the broadband we have, is wireless. We are using the Sprint Wireless Aircard 595U that has the usb connector. We've never had a broadband cable with it.

So is there a way to set it up without using the cable? And will we even be able to have the wireless broadband and all three computers linked together using this router?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users