Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Strange Recurrent Pc Booting Problem...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sindanarie1

Sindanarie1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

Right... here is the info for my PC:

Microsoft Windows Xp
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Manufacted by MDG Computers Canada
Pentium 4 CPU 2.93 GHz, 504 MB of RAM

The problem that seems to occur with the pc has started recently... but it's bugging me every since.
When starting the computer, it hangs at the windows xp logo screen with the moving bar. Restarting makes the computer give me Choices on whether to go to safe mode, networking safe mode, or command prompt safe mode. It also gives me the choices to start with the last known good configuration and to start windows normally.

All the safe modes work but the last two (most useful ones) don't work - it just hangs once more.

I've tried doing a repair install, but it gives me TWO errors:

Errors occured during registration of Windows Media Center (see log for details).
An error installing a part of the .NET framework. (version 2.0)

I"m sorry, but i don't have the exact details of the problem (i've done so many repair installs that i've grown tired of it), but the next time i do i'll repost the accurate description of the errors.

Now, the repair install continues after giving the two errors, and it installs just fine. It works too after. After doing a repair install, it restarts just fine. However, after shutting it down again.. same problem occured. Next time i did a repair install, i uninstalled all the .NET framework i had (v.1.1 to 3.5), and reinstalled .NET Framework 1.1. Two errors appeared when i started up my desktop - all having to do with .Net Framework 2.0, so i thought that might fix it. After that... everytime i shut down the computer, it installed 13 updates, and the next time i started it after shutting it down it worked. It installed the 13 updates each time i shut the computer down. I thought my error was fixed... it worked without having to do a repair install each time.

However, now its back to the same problem - it hangs on the windows xp logo screen, and the windows repair install just temporarily fixes the problem.

Can anyone help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Adamsappleone

Adamsappleone

• Members
  • 152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 02:12 AM

Have you installed a new graphics card recently? Any new programs?
If you can get the PC to stay on long enough to check your Event Viewer for errors coinciding with your freeze times.

You could also try to Run the Recovery Console and press R. When at the command prompt type: fxmbr or fxboot.

Multi-Boot, Vista Ultimate x64, Windows 7 x64 & Windows 8 Pro x64

Posted Image

#3 Sindanarie1

Sindanarie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 01:18 PM

I did another repair install to see what the two errors were... but there WERE no errors. Computer started up fine... until when i shut it down and tried to start same problem occured. Before i did the repair install i did the fxboot. I didnt try fxmbr because i had no problems accessing the disk.

This problem is just so confusing. Maybe there's something wrong with boot.ini. I think that if i do a clean install, the error would be fixed. But i can't afford to try that as of yet.

Computer still works in safe mode, and it works correctly in everything right after i do a repair install. But then it just hangs on windows xp logo screen if i shut it down and then start it again.

I have a suspicion that it has to do with some kind of program... but all i can think about would be .NET Framework 2.0, and that would be bad if it was causing the problem. Before, i had an error to do with the framework 2.0, but reinstalling it got rid of it.

Right now, i'm typing the reply on the computer that's infected... so it works. It's just that every time i shut it down...it hangs unless it says that its installing the 13 updates. If it doesn't say that... it won't work when i start it up again. It's just purely strange behaviour that i've seen becoming a habit in all windows os.

I didn't install anything recently...

How do i check the EventViewer for errors coinciding with my freeze times...

#4 Sindanarie1

Sindanarie1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 03:52 PM

When viewing EventLog, these two errors appeared, the 2nd every minute or so.

sptd ( event 4) Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for .

DCOM (event 10010) The server {C7E39D60-7A9F-42BF-ABB1-03DC0FA4F493} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Any help?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

I suggest uninstalling ALL NET Framework installs (via Add/Remove Programs)...and then installing the appropriate version...when prompted to do so by a given program.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users