Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Remote Assistance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:15 PM

I am wondering how dangerous remote assistance to my computer is?
The particular application to be used for this is TeamViewer. I've never read thru the posts here of any of you offering to do this to help fellow members. I'm sure there is a reason for this, so I just had to ask. I have really been struggling with trying to set up correctly and fully understand my external hard drive. A tech at a computer forum has offered to help me via Messenger(aka Windows Live) and TeamViewer.

Is remote assistance the same as P2P? I have read a little of P2P + am leery. I have used the free services of the other computer help forum in the past+they're a really decent lot. I just don't want to compromise my system nor any personal info.

Your thoughts,please?
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 crossloop

crossloop

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:23 PM

i am an it professional and depending on the remote assistance program u r using is teh difrence between secure and not secure

and P2P is illegial unless the software u r receiving was free to begin with

#3 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:17 PM

i am an it professional and depending on the remote assistance program u r using is teh difrence between secure and not secure

and P2P is illegial unless the software u r receiving was free to begin with

Can I point you to the rules? Specifically this part:

When posting, please use proper grammar. Refrain from 'text-message' style substitutions of words like 'u' for 'you', and 'ur' for 'your'. This is a multi-national forum, and some of our non-english speaking members must use translation software which is confused by abbreviations. Most of our volunteer members are very busy helping as many people as they can, and a post that is hard to read will often be overlooked.

honu1, It depends on how much you trust the other end. Since remote control apps relinquish the control to the other user, you must be careful who you give access to. I can't say much about TeamViewer because I've never used that kind of app. But, typically, they give full control to the user at the other end.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 06:13 PM

Yes, I realize that I relinquish control with remote assistance. Unfortunately, it's gotten to that point as I can't for the life of me fully understand what I'm doing with my external drive. I do trust the person willing to help me+the forum he is affiliated with ranks up almost close to BC. I will have to give this some more serious thought, to be sure.
Does anyone else have any thoughts on Messenger and also TeamViewer,please?
Thank you
honu1

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hi honu1

As mentioned before, it all boils down to how much you trust the person taking over your computer. Because of factors, e.g. malware, which could possibly be present and are outside the control of the helper, it must be a case of 'All Care - No Responsibility'. No responsible helper will deliberately do anything to jeopardise your computer, but it is a risk you take.

I use GoogleTalk and CrossLoop to help people who ask for it, in the same type of situation you are mentioning. In the end it has to be your decision.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 08:45 AM

Thanks,rowal
I've never heard of Googletalk nor CrossLoop, but will surely look into those also.
In the meantime, I'm praying up a storm to reach the right decision.

honu1

#7 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 29 August 2008 - 04:29 AM

You are probably finished with this subject now honu1, but I have tried quite a few remote connection programs and TeamViewer definitely seems to be the best. A secure connection between the computers is set up in seconds. Each person I connect to has their unique ID listed on my PC and I choose the appropriate one and they give me their new password each time. Couldn't be much easier as TeamViewer has a built in chat function as well. Some other programs were very infuriating as there could be a delay of seconds between a mouse movement and seeing the result on the remote screen, but this one is instantaneous. Great stuff,

Cheers, Rob

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users