Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trojan Horses And Windows Picture/fax Viewer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 slimJ

slimJ

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hello

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if the next few sentences are scrambled a bit!

I have recently had an attack from Trojan Horses while surfing. My AVG caught them, and after three scans I have apparently got rid of them. But..... It/they have messed up some of the in-built applications/programs of Windows. The main thing wrong is that Windows Picture and Fax viewer does not work, and my pc won't display thumbnails of pictures in any of the top three "view" options (Filmstrip, thumbnails, tiles). I have partly got around this by changing the default program for opening jpeg files to MS Office Picture Manager, but obviously this is not ideal. Can anyone help me?

I have used the Restore facility to take me back a few weeks, and that seems to have solved one other problem I had, namely that two of the five tab options under Properties for the desktop view were no longer available, including Desktop, resulting in me not having a picture on the desktop screen. That is now fixed, but the other problems remain. I have tried some Google searches for these three trojan horses but they lead me around in circles, or don't come up with anything. They are:

VB.EEJ
Generic7.AEHE
Clicker.OOK

For reference, I also run Spybot and Adaware.

I would be really grateful if someone could unravel what's going on with my pc. It's a real pain not being able to view pictures easily.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nerdful Things

Nerdful Things

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:58 PM

Just joined and nag screen said to post something.. Your post caught my eye.
I faintly remember a windows problem involving malware and thumbnails. There was some kind of security problem and I remember either a fix/patch/temporary workaround was to turn off thumbnail viewing. Maybe AVG does this for you. Maybe it has been fixed. Google it, search here etc.
Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users