Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Card/monitor Acting Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jab416171

jab416171

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:36 PM

Hello,

I have an ATI RADEON 9550 graphics card installed on this computer, and it's been giving me problems for quite some time now.
I've been ignoring most of the issues, until just recently, it won't let me play World of Warcraft.

When the hardware acceleration is "Full", the monitor is refreshing at approx. 5 FPS, so it's a noticeable horizontal line that runs through it several times a second.

I've tried turning hardware acceleration off, and that fixes the refresh rate, however World of Warcraft is still unplayable, and I still get the prompt below.

When I go to control panel > display > settings, I am prompted with:
"The currently selected graphics display driver can not be used. It was written for a previous version of Windows, and is no longer compatible with this version of Windows.

The system has been started using the default VGA driver.

Please contact your hardware manufacturer to get an upgraded driver, or select one of the Microsoft provided drivers."

When attempting to run World of Warcraft, I am prompted with:

"Failed to find a suitable display device. Exiting program."

I have Windows XP SP3

my PC is a HP a720n, everything is default, except I installed Win XP Pro Corp, put the graphics card in, and added 1 GB of RAM.

Thank you for looking into this.

- Joe

Edited by jab416171, 08 August 2008 - 06:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:01 PM

So, are you saying that you haven't tried to update the driver yet?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jab416171

jab416171
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:48 AM

I've downloaded the newest driver (after uninstalling all drivers) from their website, and I'm still having issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users