Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Is A "port" Used For ?!?!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chamuscas

chamuscas

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:30 PM

I was reading "Bleeping Computer's" tutorials about TCP/UDP and IP, and i must say that i realy get the concept. Except that i didn't understand the importance of a port.
We have IP that is like an identity card of each computer right? Isn't it enough to send and receive the information (data i guess??? i'm confused).

Tks for your help.

P.S.: I also red the definition on the glossary, but i can't understand why do we need to use the port and IP

:thumbsup: chamuscas

Edited by chamuscas, 08 August 2008 - 06:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hi chamuscas

Basically a port is simply a doorway into and out of your computer so that it can communicate with the big wide world. There are 1000s of them and your firewall will handle them automatically so they are not generally something you have to worry about. Ones that are not being used are kept locked to keep the baddies out.

You can read more here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_port_(software)

For interest, go to this site and scroll down to ShieldsUP where you can see how safe your computer ports are

http://www.grc.com/default.htm

When a computer connects to say a webpage, we write in a big long thing like http://www.bleepingcomputer.com, but your computer is only interested in numbers, so uses a system like a phone book to obtain the IP address it needs. If you have a record of an IP address, other than your own, type it in the address bar and press ENTER - see what happens.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 08 August 2008 - 07:05 PM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 chamuscas

chamuscas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 07:20 PM

rowal5555 tank you for your time.

Just what i was looking for. Not much my computer protection but the wikipedia document. But now i'll see how protected my computer is. ^^

:thumbsup: chamuscas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users