Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk C: Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hello BC.

I am requesting help for my computer.

I felt like running CCleaner to "refresh" my computer. I ran analyze, and then run. I recieved a little triangle in the bottom-right hand corner saying:

CCleaner.exe - Corrupt File

The file or directory C: is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

I was like strange :thinks: , maybe a little bug. So I went to chkdsk (by rightclicking my drive and clicking properties, then tools) and checked Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

When that happened, it said you cant run it while the disk is in use.

So I just checked the second option. It went through, then im at around the 130,000th index file (around 1/3 done), and it stops.

Strange, so I remember a Windows Update yesterday, and I set it to make a system recovery checkpoint after windows updates.

So I went to system restore, waited around 2 minutes for it to load and I clicked the recommened restore point (yesterday). I clicked it, and it said a file is corrupted!

I also did a scheduled dskchk at boot, and it got to the 147,000 index file. It just stayed there for 15 minutes like that (:trembles:).

BC, I really have no idea what to do.

I try googling it, but it says run dskchk, which I cant because it hangs.

Anybody who knows what I can do, please help me.

(BTW, I have a backup drive (D:), so I can reformat it.... But I really don't want to because I'll have to reinstall All my programs, taking rougly 6 hours.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:21 PM

When was it corrupted if it was yesterday, then restore 3 days back.

Edited by samuel3, 08 August 2008 - 05:23 PM.

#3 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 05:35 PM

I just found out for it to be corrupted today.

And I can't restore at all, keeps saying corrupted.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

Worth reading
http://www.vistax64.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Guest_BlackBurst_*

Guest_BlackBurst_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 08:14 PM

If i were you i'd try running a repair-install from the Vista install disk. Your problem sounds serious.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users