Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do they do that?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 badmonkey

badmonkey

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:37 PM

Dear Bleeping Computer,

I was just curious as to how Apple managed to make Mac OS X wake up from sleep so quickly. XP has become better (compared to 2k), but it is still slow compared to the Mac. I tried googling around but I don't know a good search string.

Badmonkey

XP Pro. SP2
Mac OS X 10.3.9

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:44 AM

Max OS X boots so quickly due to how linux efficiently loads only what it needs to load. XP tends to load a lot of unnecessary drivers and programs at startup, while linux tends to only load what is actually required.

#3 badmonkey

badmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 19 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

I thought as much.

Does this also hold for when I put my computer to sleep and wake it up? I have never seen a person wake up their linux laptop - kinda weird, but hey... - so is it also as fast as the Mac?

Thanks,
badmonkey

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:40 PM

Do macs even have a sleep function? I really do not know the answer to that.

#5 badmonkey

badmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 20 April 2005 - 10:51 PM

Depends upon your definition I guess. When I go into the Apple menu (or push the power button) I have the option of restart, shut down and sleep. For a powerbook or iMac you then have that pulsating white light if you put it to sleep. Now for the powerbook if you put it to sleep it will drain the battery: 10% in approx. 8 hours. This doesn't happen though with a windows laptop, the battery hardly gets touched - this is all naturally from my experience with the models I have dealt with.
So perhaps Apple's sleep is different from the hibernate of Microsoft. All I know is it takes about one second to wake up from "sleep" - how is it on linux?

#6 caterbro

caterbro

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 21 April 2005 - 03:59 PM

OS X is kinda not linux: wiki...

the sleep feature is super fast for several reasons- macs keep much of the hardware "alive", (more like a screensaver on XP than Standby) in sleep mode, and OS X has several features like read-ahead caching and the 'journaling' filesystem that make it easy to get back on its feet.

however, starting up cold, a modern XP and a modern Mac machine aren't all that different in regards to boot speeds.

for boot speeds, much depends on the hardware, and more depends on what software is trying to load when your OS loads. XP can seem to take a long time as it loads drivers, services, and programs that may all bump around and get in each other's way- Macs have nice tidy boot sequences, and are not as easy to bung up with junk.

also, OSx is a *dog* compared to older apples on boot speed. apple iie booted in a minute, on hardware that wouldn't run a graphing calculator today. and I can boot DOS 6.2 is 5 seconds after POST, so there you are :)
Carl
----
Official puter fixer :D

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 21 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

Oops..my bad . its a BSD derivitave. Even though I shouldnt and will probably get lambasted and yelled at, for some reason I always lump unix as unix and then all other unix variants (bsd, linux, etc) as linux.

Good info though. Apple 2 was a great system. Then I had the 2gs, which was a waste of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users