Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Much Ram?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

Is 2GB RAM plenty for running Vista, or would it be better to go for 3GB if I can afford it?

The laptop which I have just returned to the shop because it was faulty, had 3GB RAM, but this was on sale at 100 off and they now have no more left. Now the summer sales are over, it will cost me quite a bit more to buy the same specification, so I am wondering if the extra RAM is worth having.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 samuel3

samuel3

• Members
  • 2,349 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:34 PM

Id stick with 2GB of RAM, but if you really want it and you have the money, then its totally up to you.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:04 PM

It's always nice to have more. Wait and see how the computer responds
http://www.crucial.com/uk/
I'd use the memory advisor tool instead of scanning

Edited by garmanma, 08 August 2008 - 06:07 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 03:31 PM

I suppose I could buy a laptop with 2GB RAM then upgrade the memory. It's probably a cheaper way of doing it than buying a machine with 3GB.

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 PM

Posted 12 August 2008 - 04:16 PM

Dunno about in the UK, but I found 1 gB of DDR2 on sale this week for $27.99 US

With RAM, some is good but more is better - up until you reach a certain limit.
Are you using all 2 gB of RAM? Do you anticipate using it all in the future? If so, then get more - it's cheap!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 techman224

techman224

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 07:15 PM

I recommend 2Gbs of RAM. If your computer supports it, you can get more then 4GBs and get 64-bit Vista.

#7 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:09 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied :huh:

I was seriously considering going for 2GB RAM then upgrading, but then I wondered if that could invalidate the warranty, so I have decided to go for 3GB.

I have just ordered a Toshiba with 2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM and 250GB HDD

#8 Joan Archer

Joan Archer

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:36 AM

I think a lot depends on just what you will be doing with the machine, if you are going to be doing a lot of video editing or online games you want as much as you can get. It depends also on what your motherboard can handle and I think but not sure that 32 bit Vista will not show all RAM if say you have 4 GB it will probably only show about 3 or 3 GB

I've just bought a new machine with Vista Home Premium and that has 2 GB of RAM, although this is a desktop not laptop, and so far I'm finding it plenty fast enough :huh:

#9 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 11:03 AM

hi,,,, here's where i get all my stuff from,,, ram,,etc
http://www.ebuyer.com/
its a bit like newegg in the usa,,, i usally tell people to use crucial.com to see which ram they need then buy it from ebuyer as its cheeper, and the returns policy is good,,, if you have a google account then you can use google checkout,,, its a bit like paypal.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#10 motaman69

motaman69

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 15 August 2008 - 09:56 PM

Hi I just purchased a vista loaded computer. I have 6gb. on 64 bit. More is always better ! :huh:

#11 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:27 AM

Dunno about in the UK, but I found 1 gB of DDR2 on sale this week for $27.99 US

I've just found 1GB DDR2 for 12.99, that's $24.25 US. I was surprised to find it was so cheap.

#12 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:34 AM

It's always nice to have more. Wait and see how the computer responds
http://www.crucial.com/uk/
I'd use the memory advisor tool instead of scanning

Good site! Thanks :huh:

#13 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:36 AM

hi,,,, here's where i get all my stuff from,,, ram,,etc
http://www.ebuyer.com/

Another good site.... thanks :huh:

#14 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:43 AM

I think a lot depends on just what you will be doing with the machine, if you are going to be doing a lot of video editing or online games you want as much as you can get.

I won't be editing videos and I'm not into games, but I do tend to have a few applications running at once.

I think but not sure that 32 bit Vista will not show all RAM if say you have 4 GB it will probably only show about 3 or 3 GB

I have just bought a 3GB laptop with 32 bit Vista, and it is showing 3GB

#15 lilachamster

lilachamster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:47 AM

Hi I just purchased a vista loaded computer. I have 6gb. on 64 bit. More is always better ! :huh:

6GB?..... That's just plain greedy!! :huh: :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users