Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Instant Messenger Programs Sign Out Constantly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mari08

mari08

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:01 PM

Yahoo Messenger (version 8 and 9) constantly signs out every few minutes. I thought it was just a problem with YM but then I tried Windows Live Messenger and AIM and they give me the same problem. I have used Windows Live Messenger before on this computer and it has never done that.

What could be the problem?

My computer is an HP Pavilion a1747c with Vista OS. Also, I installed TSP codec (a fix for Yahoo voice chat running on Vista system) when I started using Yahoo Messenger. <http://www.yazakpro.com/chatstuff/yahoo/vistayahoovoicefix.html>

SUPERAntispyware, Avast, and Eset online did not find any malware on my computer.

System specifics

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080425-1930)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
System Model: RN661AA-ABA a1747c
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
Memory: 894MB RAM
Page File: 1548MB used, 502MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 freeborn

freeborn

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 09 August 2008 - 07:18 AM

I have the same problem with Window Live messenger before. I was using Zone alarm security suite. The problem was solved when I turned off IM security setting in Zone alarm.

#3 mari08

mari08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for replying.

I don't have Zone Alarm, but I do have Avast which has an IM security feature. However, I only installed Avast after I was getting the IM problems, and I just recently disabled the process but the problem still there.

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 02:11 PM

Are you using a dial-up ISP? Many dial-up ISP's require "activity" or you can be automatically disconnected after so many minutes. I had that happen years ago on Juno. I was constantly getting disconnected when I'd us Instant Messaging. Come to find out, when I was signed on to the web, they actually put a second entry in my IE Network Settings, where you set up your account. It would over-ride my settings to "never disconnect". Their "fix" was to keep a window open to any site, didn't matter what, and refresh it occasionally to simulate browsing. (There are utilities you can install to do that automatically, too.) My "fix" was to find a different provider.

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 11 August 2008 - 06:28 PM

Just to ask, what firewall are you using?
Regards,

Alan.

#6 mari08

mari08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 12:09 AM

I have Comcast Cable but sometimes it does disconnect temporarily but I am not sure if it is always the reason why my IM programs sign out.

My firewall was WindowsOne care but I removed that program within a week ago. Now it is just Windows Firewall. Removing WindowsOne didn't help resolve the problem.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 06:48 AM

If the system is disconnected even for a short time, <10 seconds, most IM programs will attempt to connect again.

This may be a problem with your system or the ISP. Does this problem happen on other computers? If so then it is likely that the ISP is at fault.
Regards,

Alan.

#8 mari08

mari08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:44 PM

I have a network with other computers sharing the same connection, but the instant messaging programs on those computers don't sign out at all.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 02:58 PM

In that case it is most likely a problem with your system. The event viewer may give some more information.

1. Click Start select run
2. Type eventvwr.exe
3. Press enter
4. Search through the groups for errors and warnings.
5. Double click on each error and or warning.
6. Find the event ID[b/]and [b]Source
7. Let us know what you find.
Regards,

Alan.

#10 mari08

mari08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2008 - 10:12 PM

The source of most of the errors that occurred today is Dhcp-client and the event id is 1000. The message is "Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address on the Network Card with network address" This error seems to happen every 2 min.

The source of most of the warnings are Dhcp-client and the event id is 1003. The message is
"Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP Server) for the Network Card. The following error occurred:
The semaphore timeout period has expired.. Your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server."

Edited by mari08, 12 August 2008 - 10:12 PM.

#11 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:29 AM

On the system in question, can you go to start then run type services.msc a new window will open with a list, locate the DHCP entry. is it started and set to automatic?
Regards,

Alan.

#12 mari08

mari08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 11:02 AM

Yes, it is started and set to automatic.

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:19 PM

If the other systems are working correctly, this indicates that there is a conflict with the one system. The best steps to resolve this issue would be to compare the network settings with another system on the network.
Regards,

Alan.

#14 mari08

mari08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 06:26 PM

Do I access the network settings from the local area connection properties? My OS is Vista While the others are XP, so there are so many difference in the structure of the settings. What I did do is enable flow control because that feature was enabled on the other computer. That did not resolve my problem though.

#15 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:09 AM

I'm sorry I forgot that the system was in Vista, Normally I would have no trouble talking you through the networking settings but my Vista machine is waiting for a new CPU.

http://www.smallbusinesscomputing.com/bizt...cle.php/3667576 is a good article on vista networking.

Also what router do you have and how are you connecting to that router? (wired, wireless)
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users