Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Partition And Memory

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bleepingJim

bleepingJim

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:15 AM

My D: drive is gone. In Disk Management it indicates:

Vol Capac. Free

--- Basic --- Healthy (unknown partition) 56.48 GB 56.48 GB

C: Basic NTFS Healthy (system) 129.83 GB 36.45 GB

Also, which may be of concern, in device manager it indicates:

yellow question mark - Other Devices

yellow (?) with (!) - Other PCI Bridge Devices

" " " " " - PCI Simple Comm. Controller

" " " " " - SM Bus Controller

Please assist with how to fix this......thank you

Edited by bleepingJim, 08 August 2008 - 10:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 10:31 AM

If you double click on the warning symbols in the Device manager it will open a dialogue box with a description of the problem. These usually are driver related, and uninstalling and reinstalling these usually will solve this.

Do you have two partitions on your hdd?

Does Disk Management show the D: as a partition or a drive?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 bleepingJim

bleepingJim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:00 PM

I saw that you also responded to my other post and I didn't respond back because I thought perhaps I was being too vague so I opened a new thread with hopefully a better description of my problem.

I have looked into uninstalling and reinstalling drivers but I don't have the related disc. It also won't let me do a rollback. Any ideas?

As far as the other problem, D: is a partition but in disk management it is blank under "Volume" (whereas "C:" is clearly visible) but lists as a partition under "layout". I only know it to be D: because it was on there when I bought my computer. It has since been gone after I did a reformat last year due to viruses. So although I can't switch partitions it still indicates that there is memory somewhere else on my computer.

Thanks

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 08 August 2008 - 06:32 PM

I did a reformat last year due to viruses.

C: Basic NTFS Healthy (system) 129.83 GB

When you reformatted, was the re-installation done with an original release XP, and service pack updated afterwards? If so, XP prior to SP1 cannot address a drive (and therefore set up a partition) larger than 132GB in size. The C: partition being nominally this size makes me suspect this may be the cause. (Sizes reported vary slightly due to different calculations of bytes per gigabyte.) The remaining drive space should be able to be used to create a D: drive. Right-click on the space in Drive Management and see what options are offered. It may simply need to be formatted, or as it currently shows as unknown, you may need to delete it and create a new partition from the free space.

For drivers for the devices with problems, if you don't know the motherboard brand and model to download drivers, Everest Home should be able to identify the board and/or device types so you or we can source suitable drivers.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 bleepingJim

bleepingJim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 05:48 PM

I right clicked on the "unknown partition" to delete it and a message read "The selected partition was not created by windows and might contain data recognized by other operating systems. Do you want to delete this partition?" Should I delete it? Also, once I do, how do I create a new partition from the free space? Thanx

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:15 PM

The message is a precaution in case the partition is a valid one that Windows doesn't recognise, if you also had, say, an OS/2 HPFS partition on your computer. Since your system (I assume) isn't dual-booting another Operating System, you can proceed to delete. Then right click on the free space and choose to create a partition occupying the full amount.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 06:16 PM

How big is this "other partition"? Seems to me that it might be a restore partition.

Since you state that you don't have an XP or restore CD...if it is a restore/recovery partition...you will need it.

Generally speaking...the only way that a partition can get assigned the letter D: is when it is created by user when the O/S is first installed by an OEM or reseller.

Once an XP CD is used for an install, the first partition is set up as C: and the optical drive used to do the install is set up as D:.

Manufacturer and model of the computer system, please?

Do you know if you have an automatic backup program installed?

Louis

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 09:21 PM

I take it Jim must have an XP CD, as he said this began when he re-formatted last year due to viruses. If the unrecognised partition is a restore partition, see below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555056

#9 bleepingJim

bleepingJim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:09 PM

So I take it that I should probably back up my important files to perhaps an external hard drive and then do a "complete clean install of windows xp" according to the link Platypus provided? If that is the case, I should probably hold off deleting the unknown partition. Correct? It sounds to me that if I delete it now before backing up files I will risk losing everything.

Also, I downloaded Everest Home to help with locating drivers and I haven't found what I am looking for yet. I do know that my processor ia an AMD 64 Athalon and also I have an ATI Radeon x700 that I installed for gaming. So I am not quite sure which manufacturer I need to access for updating these drivers and what to type in the search box (because it doesn't seem as simple as typing the following):

Other PCI Bridge Device
PCI Simple Communications Controller
SM Bus Controller

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 10 August 2008 - 11:44 PM

Have you tried uninstalling the drivers for the items with the warnings in the Device Manager?

What is the make and model of your computer? If it is a custom build, what is the make and model of the motherboard?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,859 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 03:21 AM

The Microsoft advice re a clean XP install is in the event that:

"When you open Administrative tools, Computer Management, Disk Management in Windows XP, there is an Healthy unknown Partition type Present, that can not be deleted or formatted"

If you find that Disk Management can't delete or format in order to utilise the space, then that seems to be the solution.

But we are having to guess a fair bit without more information.

#12 bleepingJim

bleepingJim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2008 - 08:24 PM

To answer the questions to the two previous posts, my computer is a Gateway GT4010 Media Center. When I right click to delete the partition is does not indicate that it "cannot be deleted or formatted", so I am not assuming that I actually can't delete it. My only concern was with regard to the meassage "The selected partition was not created by windows and might contain data recognized by other operating systems. Do you want to delete this partition?" So if I want to delete it I possibly could. I just wanted to make sure that deleting it won't make my other partition/files unusable. Also, I have not tried uninstalling the drivers. I have only tried updating and rolling back and could not do either without the disc. I am assuming that the drivers are not on my recovery disc as it seems they would be installed if that were the case.

#13 bleepingJim

bleepingJim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2008 - 03:25 PM

Anyone?

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 13 August 2008 - 04:15 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-GT4010-GATEW...r/dp/B000E49SCS

If the above depicts your system...I'd forget about deleting that partition. Appears to me to be a restore partition for your system, in view of the fact that there's no mention of O/S disks provided users/purchasers.

Your system may have included instructions for creating restore/recovery CDs, which would allow you to then delete the suspected restore partition.

http://www.pctechbytes.com/gateway.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users